With you on the scaffold poles - Top class, cut into three

• king likes this

#18 Chaff

Chaff

Mega Hunter

• Donator
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:03 am

So if it's for a traditional longnet why not just cut hazel sticks instead of spending money on brush handles ... you must have one hell of a bag to carry enough poles for a 100 yard longnet ........

Yeah ex army quivers they are heavy, but the poles last a life time and the bag gets lighter as you go
A brush handle cost 98p at the moment not sure what we paid would of been less 10+ year ago
Atb
Dog has now stopped retching socks does that mean he good to go or rest him longer mate cheers

#19 socks

socks

Extreme Ferret Wrangler

• Donator
  • 14,719 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:17 am

I would give him a day or two extra just to be safe ... when you start him back try not to give him any hard runs until his fitness has improved ........
  • 3175darren and Chaff like this

#20 NELS0N

NELS0N

Forrest Gump

• Donator
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:03 pm

Hazel pegs all day long for a traditional net, plentiful and free. Now's the time to get some cut as the sap is drawing down. I cut mine 24" this allows a little for pointing and rounding off the ends to save your quicks and make pushing into the ground a little more comfortable. I prefer my pegs a little thinner than most, ideally the thickness of my forefinger but its personal preference. 

If you rigging up a quickset net then fibreglass poles with proper grommets is what you'll be wanting, make sure you get caps on the end. those splinters are irritating little buggers. If you need any Fibreglass poles drop me a PM.

Les 

• netrigger, Tiercel, W. Katchum and 1 other like this

#21 jok

jok

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:48 pm

Rod rests?? Surely they are cheap.

#22 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,833 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:51 pm

Rod rests?? Surely they are cheap.

Wat ye mean jok? You won't beat hazel of fibre glass
  • Leeview likes this

#23 jok

jok

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:08 pm

Eh up son. How the devil are you. Strangely, I was out today cutting some really nice hazel sticks, getting ready for next year. If this geezer wants long net sticks there are millions of them. No mate I just had a thought about fibre rods and rod rests sprang to mind. Jok.

#24 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,833 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:12 pm

Eh up son. How the devil are you. Strangely, I was out today cutting some really nice hazel sticks, getting ready for next year. If this geezer wants long net sticks there are millions of them. No mate I just had a thought about fibre rods and rod rests sprang to mind. Jok.

All good here jok, too busy with graft if honest not enough me time out doors haha but cant complain got 4 kids to play santa to this year so ill keep at it haha the rod rest would then present problem of finding right size grommets to hold line, whearas the poles available have them, which makes life a whole lot easier haha

Edited by W. Katchum, 28 November 2016 - 05:15 pm.

#25 Waz

Waz

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:26 pm

All good here jok, too busy with graft if honest not enough me time out doors haha but cant complain got 4 kids to play santa to this year so ill keep at it haha the rod rest would then present problem of finding right size grommets to hold line, whearas the poles available have them, which makes life a whole lot easier haha

no longnets here, but I used to use cut up pushbike inner tube (black bands) rather than grommets

• Leeview and NELS0N like this

#26 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,833 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:31 pm

no longnets here, but I used to use cut up pushbike inner tube (black bands) rather than grommets

I tried em, and castration bands and the do job mate but the wee grommets are likeca belt and braces imo, they dont just do job, they do it well haha
  • NELS0N likes this

#27 jok

jok

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:37 pm

Beat me to it so . Lambs bollock bands. Jok

#28 Ashy Ashcroft

Ashy Ashcroft

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:44 pm

I heard scaffolding poles are ok.
A bit heavy but very strong.
They definately won't blow over in the wind lol

Will be easy to get that as I work with it haha

#29 Ashy Ashcroft

Ashy Ashcroft

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:05 pm

Thanks for all the info, I'm gonna go with the fibre glass, I will use hazel sticks for my 5/10 yard nets. Atb ashy!

#30 Leeview

Leeview

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:14 pm

Beat me to it so . Lambs bollock bands. Jok

There actually for castrating tails not bollocks

Y.I.S Leeview

• NELS0N likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users