Long Net Poles

Ashy Ashcroft

Broom stick handles cut into 3 and notch the end, if you have access to a lathe turn down notch end 2 mm down an inch then cut some 22mm copper in inch pieces and sleeve on,to add strength they will last years,but they heavy OK if working out back of truck.

Easy net with basket and glass poles is the way foward IMO

Atb

• Like 1

Some nice straight hazel whips.

Once they dry out they are very light and very strong.

And cost nothing.

That's what I use for purse net pegs.and gives the kids something to do cutting and putting a point on them.

Broom stick handles cut into 3 and notch the end, if you have access to a lathe turn down notch end 2 mm down an inch then cut some 22mm copper in inch pieces and sleeve on,to add strength they will last years,but they heavy OK if working out back of truck.

Atb

A broom handle isn't long enough to cut into 3 longnet poles is far to thick and far to heavy ... if you've got a 50 meter net with the poles set at 5 meters how big has the fukcing basket got to be to hold all those brush handles ... daftest idea I've heard for a long time ......

• Like 6

Atb

A broom handle isn't long enough to cut into 3 longnet poles is far to thick and far to heavy ... if you've got a 50 meter net with the poles set at 5 meters how big has the fukcing basket got to be to hold all those brush handles ... daftest idea I've heard for a long time ......

Lol I can't seem to edit my posts but more for your old type longnet with steel pins and separate poles copper collar on bottom drill hole 3 mm cut head off 6 inch nail knock in hole copper stops broomstick from splitting. Will post a picture we use them on 100yard nets

So if it's for a traditional longnet why not just cut hazel sticks instead of spending money on brush handles ... you must have one hell of a bag to carry enough poles for a 100 yard longnet ........

• Like 2

So if it's for a traditional longnet why not just cut hazel sticks instead of spending money on brush handles ... you must have one hell of a bag to carry enough poles for a 100 yard longnet ........

Yeah ex army quivers they are heavy, but the poles last a life time and the bag gets lighter as you go

A brush handle cost 98p at the moment not sure what we paid would of been less 10+ year ago

Atb

Dog has now stopped retching socks does that mean he good to go or rest him longer mate cheers

Hazel pegs all day long for a traditional net, plentiful and free. Now's the time to get some cut as the sap is drawing down. I cut mine 24" this allows a little for pointing and rounding off the ends to save your quicks and make pushing into the ground a little more comfortable. I prefer my pegs a little thinner than most, ideally the thickness of my forefinger but its personal preference.

If you rigging up a quickset net then fibreglass poles with proper grommets is what you'll be wanting, make sure you get caps on the end. those splinters are irritating little buggers. If you need any Fibreglass poles drop me a PM.

Les

• Like 4