Golden Eagle - Cwd

novice

Currently reading Martin Hollinsheads excellent book "hawking with golden eagles". The chapter on hawking roe got me thinking about whether anyone is regularly pursuing Chinese water deer with eagles in this country?

They seem to offer everything that roe don't, for example they're smaller, inhabit more open country (and don't tend to run for cover), both sexes share a season so no concerns over taking the wrong sex and no antlers to worry about when moving in to secure the kill.

No doubt the more knowledgeable members will tell me why they aren't suitable, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Novice

you got a eagle then, or thinking of getting one.? not got bird of prey, but like all types of hunting, keep lurchers. yeh they do feed out more in the open , like to see a eagle on a munjack , but there dont go that far from cover, but maybe the bird could get to it quick, just a thought . lol

Currently reading Martin Hollinsheads excellent book "hawking with golden eagles". The chapter on hawking roe got me thinking about whether anyone is regularly pursuing Chinese water deer with eagles in this country?

They seem to offer everything that roe don't, for example they're smaller, inhabit more open country (and don't tend to run for cover), both sexes share a season so no concerns over taking the wrong sex and no antlers to worry about when moving in to secure the kill.

No doubt the more knowledgeable members will tell me why they aren't suitable, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Novice

No antlers but they do have nice sharp tusks on them. There's afew clips on YouTube of eagles taking deer
  • Like 1

you got a eagle then, or thinking of getting one.? not got bird of prey, but like all types of hunting, keep lurchers. yeh they do feed out more in the open , like to see a eagle on a munjack , but there dont go that far from cover, but maybe the bird could get to it quick, just a thought . lol

Not got time for myself on my current circumstances, never mind the hours required to man an eagle, but I have total respect for those that do. I'm just interested in all field sports and particularly anything deer related, so it got me thinking.

Novice

Novice

No antlers but they do have nice sharp tusks on them. There's afew clips on YouTube of eagles taking deer

I think munties are a bit quicker to use their tusks than cwd, but it would be a consideration I guess. Any bird flown at a quarry over and above what it would normally pursue in the wild is going to be in for some rough and tumble.

Novice

Novice

I think munties are a bit quicker to use their tusks than cwd, but it would be a consideration I guess. Any bird flown at a quarry over and above what it would normally pursue in the wild is going to be in for some rough and tumble.

Novice

With talons capable of putting out pressure double that of a pit bull terriers jaws, could'nt imagine a golden eagle having too much to worry about from a muntjac or a CWD, there's footage of them being used to hunt some type of wolves on youtube
  • 2 weeks later...

About 16 years ago. I was at a hawking meet.

My redtail was over weight so she wasn't flying, but I did some ferreting for the others.

One lad flew his male Goldie, which was surprisingly agile for such a big bird.

It even took a rabbit about 15 feet from where I was sitting.....

One of the problems with them, is getting them fit enough to take on quarry.