How To Catch Your Urban Fox

Tomdhu

Just learned to use a video editor so I've put together a short movie (3:45 mins) of one of my trapping projects. Please bear with me as I'm not yet up to the standard of some of you who produce videos.

This shows foxes getting used to the cage and taking bait (fresh squirrel) from it.

It's been good fun as it involves CCTV, Ethernet cabling, PIR sensor and an ASDA shopping trolley.

I hope you enjoy it.....

Here's the result...

Stumpy_zps2qoi71tj.jpg

Edited by Tomdhu
  • Like 6

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just learned to use a video editor so I've put together a short movie (3:45 mins) of one of my trapping projects. Please bear with me as I'm not yet up to the standard of some of you who produce vid

When something does not add up in my mind, I tend to re-read the posts in a thread to try and get it straight in my mind. I have done this on this thread and to be honest I am somewhat confused.   I

No answer as yet despite being on line this morning? "Curiouser and curiouser said Sandra."   TC

I learned how to use a video editor yesterday and I've put together a short movie (3:45 mins) of one of my trapping projects. Please bear with me as I'm not yet up to the standard of some of you who produce videos.

This is Part 1 showing the foxes getting used to the cage and taking bait (fresh squirrel) from it.

It's been good fun as it involves CCTV, Ethernet cabling, PIR sensor and an ASDA shopping trolley.

I hope you enjoy it.....

Good footage. I used to get loads out of my garden when i lived in London.

I still don't understand this not baiting the cage idea though. Why would you want the fox to go in several times before you catch it rather than the first time?

My understanding is that if I put the trap out with bait in it on Day 1, they would be ultra cautious. And of course my scent would be there. I minimised my scent by wearing Wellingtons and rubbed these with a particularly smelly flower stems from the garden.The Wellies are good as a lot of human scent ( eg skin cells , hair etc) falls down the trouser legs and on to the shoes. Believe me this is for real.

I also used my gardening gloves, trousers and jacket that I keep in the shed so that human scent was minimised.

With them getting confident and getting a fresh squirrel from there from time to time it means I can bait and set the trap precisely when it is convenient to me to catch one. That is convenient for me to take it away to be relocated miles away.

I'd prefer to shoot them but I don't have a rifle and if I had , the neighbours (in London) would report a "shooting incident". So I need a silent method of despatch.

Any ideas?

Edited by Tomdhu

My understanding is that if I put the trap out with bait in it on Day 1, they would be ultra cautious. And of course my scent would be there. I minimised my scent by wearing Wellingtons and rubbed these with a particularly smelly flower stems from the garden.The Wellies are good as a lot of human scent ( eg skin cells , hair etc) falls down the trouser legs and on to the shoes. Believe me this is for real.

I also used my gardening gloves, trousers and jacket that I keep in the shed so that human scent was minimised.

With them getting confident and getting a fresh squirrel from there from time to time it means I can bait and set the trap precisely when it is convenient to me to catch one. That is convenient for me to take it away to be relocated miles away.

I'd prefer to shoot them but I don't have a rifle and if I had , the neighbours (in London) would report a "shooting incident". So I need a silent method of despatch.

Any ideas?

I understand how you would want them to be less cautious, but to get it to go in the cage and take the bait when it isn't set seems a bit pointless. If it's in, it's in. If it isn't, it doesn't matter whether it's set or not.

I always found a hushpower 410 was the best for dispatching them.

• Like 1

Round here it's illegal to move them unless they are dead.

Check on that one mate unless there has been a recent change in the law.

Atb

Which law states that it's illegal? It's never been illegal as far as I know.

It's not something I'd do myself and don't think it's a great idea to release a fox into another fox's area or someone else's land, but it's not illegal.

Some pest controllers charge huge fees to cage-trap nuisance foxes which are then either shot or dumped miles away. A fox dumped in a strange territory will find itself in competition for food with resident foxes. This causes significant stress and leads to an increase in the numbers of reported cases of mange as well as in the number of road casualties. Thus the removal of a fox from its home range and dumping it elsewhere (known as ‘hard-release) is almost certainly an offence of cruelty under the Abandonment of Animals Act 1960 and is condemned by the government’s Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). Reputable wildlife rescue groups do relocate foxes occasionally, but use a system known as ‘soft release’ whereby volunteers protect and feed the relocated fox until it has time to settle into its new environment.

• Like 1

A nice video of urban fox life. To be honest I think that making that video was your ultimate goal. You have made it and proved that you could trap the foxes any time you like, so your happy. One thing I will agree with though, is unless you have a humane method of despatch, do not trap them.

As always just my opinion.

TC