Recommendations For A Reasonably Priced Camera?

I'm looking for something that wont break the bank but will be good for birds etc. It will need a decent zoom.

I used to have SLRs when we used film but it's been years since I've used a camera other than a phone one.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of people reckon the Nikon d7100 is the best value nikon camera for quality and price, they were on offer on Amazon a while back. I have one it is a cracking camera.     the lense i had on

Cannon sx60. This red kite was about half a mile away.

any of the newer nikons will suit you . 3200. 3300. 5200. 7000. 7100. . i would also consider a good second hand D90. i loved mine. and that would leave money for a better lens. you need somethin

Posted Images

What's your budget?

Hmm tricky one, I want to spend enough to get something decent and not something that I will have to replace later.

What sort of cash do you need to spend to get a reasonable quality camera and lense?

Is up to £400 or £500 enough?

That should be plenty. I use Canon DSLR and I have a Canon bridge camera for holidays, etc. The DSLR is great, but I need to carry a couple of lenses and change them when out and about. My bridge camera is a Canon Powershot SX40 and has a superzoom lens. It handles high ISO very well to and find it more than adequate and very convenient. It has been replaced with the Canon Powershot SX60 now which has an even bigger optical range on the lens. Info here.

For you budget you could get either a budget DSLR and a couple of lens (just), or maybe the latest Tamron megazoom. Or you could simply go for a good bridge camera. From what you say, I would get a bridge camera, as it is more versatile and convenient and in most cases smaller. However I'm sure some of the others will recommend a DSLR and lenses.

Thanks it seems to me a quality lens and budget DSLR would be ideal. We've got our phones for day to day stuff, I want to be able to get really good close up photos of the birds here plus there are good spots to see the seals lying on the rocks.

This is also an option but I imagine the lens's wont be very good quality

http://www.johnlewis.com/canon-eos-100d-digital-slr-camera-with-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-ef-75-300mm-f-4-5-6-iii-zoom-lens-hd-1080p-18mp-3-lcd-touch-screen/p2009601?navAction=jump

The EOS 450D is somewhat old now, I feel. However there doesn't seem to be a new Canon within budget apart from the 100D and the 1300D. There is the 700D, but the more expensive 760D is better.

I haven't used Nikon myself, but the reviews suggest that a Nikon D3300 is very good and its cheaper.

The EOS 450D is somewhat old now, I feel. However there doesn't seem to be a new Canon within budget apart from the 100D and the 1300D. There is the 700D, but the more expensive 760D is better.

I haven't used Nikon myself, but the reviews suggest that a Nikon D3300 is very good and its cheaper.