• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a busy lad. On saturday I dug out 4 frozen bunnies and took off the back legs, fillets and saddles. I removed all the silver skin I could and cubed the meat. Browned it in olive oil and swea

No, I don't reheat them from frozen, they get taken out of the freezer the night before and left to thaw out. When I reheat, I always preheat the oven to about 180º C and the pie only needs about 15-2

First of all... Mister gain those pies look the nuts I bet they taste it also definitely something I'm going to do I love a good pie who don't?   Jok I always put my dumplings in on the hob with th

Posted Images

Terryd. Never tried that Atora. Gonna have a go in the morning. Jok.

That Atora suet has been around for donkey's years Jok, grew up on it in fact. Dumplings for stews, bacon and onion puddings, steak and kidney puddings, roly-poly's, spotted dicks etc etc.

When I bought my individual foil pie containers I also bought some individual 'pudding' containers, so will have to have another dig about in the freezer, as I have 2 boxes of Atora in the fridge. :yes:

• Like 3

Trying this suet thing but with some pheasant. First time and isn't it a gooey mess. LOL? I'll know in 20 mins from now. Jok.

First of all... Mister gain those pies look the nuts I bet they taste it also :thumbs: definitely something I'm going to do I love a good pie who don't?

Jok I always put my dumplings in on the hob with the lid on let them steam in the broth 15 minutes and swell then take the lid of and pop it all in the oven till there nice and crisp on top :thumbs:

_20160301_194639_zpszkbajjtg.jpg

Edited by kanny
  • Like 6

Kanny. Got you. Did that the other day with a nice beef stew. This was, however, a pie. I did as said with the mix kneading it lightly for a couple of minutes. Although it tasted fine, it was a bit hard as opposed to light and fluffy. Might I be doing something wrong? Jok.

Kanny. Got you. Did that the other day with a nice beef stew. This was, however, a pie. I did as said with the mix kneading it lightly for a couple of minutes. Although it tasted fine, it was a bit hard as opposed to light and fluffy. Might I be doing something wrong? Jok.

I would say you put a little to much water in the mix its the hardest thing to get just right ...you want just enough for the mixture to just about bind and its a lot less than you think just add a little at a time also work it as little as possible I wouldent knead it you want the lumps as they will melt out creating the lightness ...as soon as it comes together in a stiff dough that's it ready! :thumbs:

Edited by kanny
  • Like 2

Trying this suet thing but with some pheasant. First time and isn't it a gooey mess. LOL? I'll know in 20 mins from now. Jok.

First of all... Mister gain those pies look the nuts I bet they taste it also :thumbs: definitely something I'm going to do I love a good pie who don't?

Jok I always put my dumplings in on the hob with the lid on let them steam in the broth 15 minutes and swell then take the lid of and pop it all in the oven till there nice and crisp on top :thumbs:

_20160301_194639_zpszkbajjtg.jpg

bloody hell pass that here love the colour on it

• Like 1

I would say you put a little to much water in the mix its the hardest thing to get just right ...you want just enough for the mixture to just about bind and its a lot less than you think just add a little at a time also work it as little as possible I wouldent knead it you want the lumps as they will melt out creating the lightness ...as soon as it comes together in a stiff dough that's it ready! :thumbs:

Agree with Kanny regarding the amount of water and amount of mixing. :thumbs:

I have in the past bought those dumpling mixes in sachets, and although they have recipe instructions the amount of water suggested is not always correct, sometimes you need a bit less, sometimes more.

I occasionally make what I refer to as a savoury 'cobbler', basically a casserole and once it's cooked remove the lid and cover most of the surface with dumplings and cook until they are golden brown, and the gravy bubbling in between.

A couple of years ago my son visited from Aussie, and his wife is a veggie so I made a chunky vegetable stew with chive dumplings. Yep, you can get vegetarian suet, fcuk knows how they do that... witchcraft :yes: and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference from proper suet.

She had never seen or tasted a dumpling before, and had never had a stew either, didn't like the look of the big chunks of veg, so after we had removed our portions I pureed the rest. She was happy with that and the baby loved it and it lasted them days, fcuking weirdo's these veggies. She never tried a dumpling even though they were very light. After that I just let her get on with her squirrel food.

Think I've posted this pic before...

post-84277-0-37824900-1480388851_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I've added extra ingredients and herbs to the dumplings with various success somethings can make them turn out a bit heavy but mustard powder or fresh sage are two of my favourites additives.

.your right terry dumplings are a gift from the gods :thumbs:

Edited by kanny
  • Like 1