I've been a busy lad. On saturday I dug out 4 frozen bunnies and took off the back legs, fillets and saddles. I removed all the silver skin I could and cubed the meat. Browned it in olive oil and sweated down a chopped onion and a couple of finely cubed smoked bacon. Added some dried leeks as well. Added 8 finely chopped sage leaves, and some pepper, and then made a bit of stock from 1 chicken cube and 1 veggie cube. Simmered it all for about 2 hours and made a roux with butter and plain flour to thicken what was left of the stock.

Me and the old girl decided that making full sized pies was just too over the top for just me and her so I purchased some individual foil dishes from Lakeland. They are 2" deep so hold an ample portion.

Anyways, made and cooked a dozen today, so that's 6 meals for me and her for minimal outlay, not bad for a bit of pest control eh! :thumbs:

Not tasted them yet or cut into them. When they cool I will cover 10 of them with foil and put 2 per bag and freeze them, and just leave 2 out for tonight.

post-84277-0-11554000-1479746063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mister Gain
  • Like 15

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a busy lad. On saturday I dug out 4 frozen bunnies and took off the back legs, fillets and saddles. I removed all the silver skin I could and cubed the meat. Browned it in olive oil and swea

No, I don't reheat them from frozen, they get taken out of the freezer the night before and left to thaw out. When I reheat, I always preheat the oven to about 180º C and the pie only needs about 15-2

First of all... Mister gain those pies look the nuts I bet they taste it also definitely something I'm going to do I love a good pie who don't?   Jok I always put my dumplings in on the hob with th

Posted Images

looking good pal :victory:

Thanks mate, think they are going to be good, the fcuking dog hasn't stopped dribbling :laugh: he thinks if he stares at me hard enough I'll let him have one.

Should have added, be very cautious about adding any salt if using stock cubes, especially if you intend to reduce the stock, taste at the end of cooking the filling for final seasoning.

• Like 3

looking good pal :victory:

Thanks mate, think they are going to be good, the fcuking dog hasn't stopped dribbling :laugh: he thinks if he stares at me hard enough I'll let him have one.

Should have added, be very cautious about adding any salt if using stock cubes, especially if you intend to reduce the stock, taste at the end of cooking the filling for final seasoning.

Always share with my dogs, yes pal always season my food salt and pepper is a must

With the other ten do you cook them from frozen fella or defrost em then reheat? And for how long? Temp etc? I asked something like this other day as I was looking to do similar. As It was I just did 1 pie...and it was bloody lovely!

No, I don't reheat them from frozen, they get taken out of the freezer the night before and left to thaw out. When I reheat, I always preheat the oven to about 180º C and the pie only needs about 15-20 minutes tops.

My missus cooks things like shop bought pizza from frozen and even though I have a perforated non stick pizza cooking tray they invariably end up with a soggy base... yuk. Also, I am reluctant to reheat anything with pastry in the micro zapper, again it makes the pastry limp and soft.

Another good tip for a properly cooked base on pies, pizzas, quiches is to cook in the lower part of the oven so that the bottom oven element does it's job more effectively for most of the cooking time. That tip was straight from the mouth of ol' lizard tongue himself, Jamie Oliver.

Ordinarily, I would have snaffled one of these pies as soon as they came out of the oven but it would have raised my blood glucose level and being a diabetic on insulin I need to exercise some restraint.

Here's a pic without veggies. Got a big thumbs up from the wife, best pie she has had for ages, told her that was because it didn't come out of a cardboard box.

post-84277-0-76617300-1479789869_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

With the other ten do you cook them from frozen fella or defrost em then reheat? And for how long? Temp etc? I asked something like this other day as I was looking to do similar. As It was I just did 1 pie...and it was bloody lovely!

No, I don't reheat them from frozen, they get taken out of the freezer the night before and left to thaw out. When I reheat, I always preheat the oven to about 180º C and the pie only needs about 15-20 minutes tops.

My missus cooks things like shop bought pizza from frozen and even though I have a perforated non stick pizza cooking tray they invariably end up with a soggy base... yuk. Also, I am reluctant to reheat anything with pastry in the micro zapper, again it makes the pastry limp and soft.

Another good tip for a properly cooked base on pies, pizzas, quiches is to cook in the lower part of the oven so that the bottom oven element does it's job more effectively for most of the cooking time. That tip was straight from the mouth of ol' lizard tongue himself, Jamie Oliver.

Ordinarily, I would have snaffled one of these pies as soon as they came out of the oven but it would have raised my blood glucose level and being a diabetic on insulin I need to exercise some restraint.

Here's a pic without veggies. Got a big thumbs up from the wife, best pie she has had for ages, told her that was because it didn't come out of a cardboard box.

Rabbit pies2.jpg

Wow mate that looks absolutely bang on, i feed all my rabbits to the ferrets/dogs but that's definitely gonna change. Iyd happily buy some of them off ya if your close?? Edited by CraignTod