Bread And Dripping

Go to solution Solved by kanny,

Come on, who's had it ? I can honestly say I can't ever remember having it growing up, although my great uncle who taught me to shoot used to talk about it fondly.

His father used to work on the docks at Southampton over the war period, he was one of eleven kids and had some great stories, different world back then!

He said their mother used to shout out "boys your steaks ready" and when they all ran in excited they'd be having bread and dripping and she'd be laughing that the neighbours all thought they were having steak now ?

Said they used to have tinned fruit and put the tins out on the front wall so everyone could see!

Anyway, after my rib roast I've got a pan full of dripping seems to have gone solid and I might just have to put some on toast for breakfast to remember the old git, he's sadly missed :(

• Like 6

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Come on, who's had it ? I can honestly say I can't ever remember having it growing up, although my great uncle who taught me to shoot used to talk about it fondly.   His father used to work on the

Same here pigs trotter were a regular dinner when I was a nipper and i remember enjoying them ....because my dad had a knackers yard I always had some body part in pocket usually a Turkey foot I'd pu

I used to do a bit for two sheep farmers (father and son) in the Wicklow Hills and after the daily fry up they used to argue over whos turn it was to clean the pan. Then one of them would squeeze 3 o

You can't beat a bit of dripping and it's been proved now that animal fats full fat milk cheese eggs etc do you no harm, so spread it on sprinkle a bit of salt on top and enjoy .......

• Like 3

I have it on bread sometimes

It has to have the brown jelly and not the white block from the supermarket as that's crap

She also puts it on the roasts and a spoon in the bottom of the Yorkshire pudding tray. 1 spoon 1 Yorkshire :)

Used to love it, but it was a rarity as it meant you had had roast beef for sunday dinner, and we normally had chicken or a hand spring of pork which were slightly cheaper than beef. Occasionally got a bit of shoulder of lamb, depending on the price.

A sprinkle of white pepper and a pinch of salt, and always try to get as much of the brown jelly as possible.

• Like 1

Its the only thing I used to take for my snap when I worked down the pit beef or pork dripping in one of those acme snap tins that you don't see now days.Tbh I can count on one hand the times I have had bread and dripping since leaving the pit 30 years ago some how it just don't taste the same for me.

I've never had it but sounds good to me.

Sounds like something my grandad would have given me to eat. He was a decent cook and nothing wasted.

The frying was hardly ever washed out so it had a host of flavours on it....?

I remember him saying when he was young that his mum would make a batch of porridge and spread it in the bottom drawer of the cupboard. When it hardened they would get a slice cut out as a 'treat'......different back then..?

• Like 1

used love the it, but its very bad for you, all that fat will feck up your arteries long term, my wife family lived on the stuff in 50-60s , not much money so eat what they could get, and dripping was one of the things they had, all stuff like that bad for you cholesterol , they all had heart attacks and strokes and died quite young ( mid 60s) , dripping ok once in a while :thumbs::yes: