Spinning Set Up Advice

So lads, I'm after having some kit for spinning......it will be pike, salmon and trout.

I have no clue where to begin so advice on rods, lures, line strength etc would be much appreciated.

Been coarse fishing all my life but have no experience of game fishing at all.

Cheers

You will need more than one set up for that mate, something for pike/salmon will be too heavy for trout.

That's sound mate, any excuse to buy kit is fine with me........lets us know lads, cheers

A mid price range whychwood 8ft rod with a casting weight of around 80g , a cheapish feeder reel and some decent 20lb braid should cover most things......then go and buy a load of lures, with only a few that you will actually use! Lol

A few mepps spinners and a few big S plugs should snag a few fish mate!

Matt

I'm not a serious fisherman, I just tend to steal an hour here and there to try and bag a couple of wild Brownies for the pan. Wouldn't know where to start when it comes to recommending modern kit (I'm still using an old Mitchell 300 reel!) but what I can recommend for wild trout in small/medium sized rivers is a Mepps 0 Black Fury spinner (with yellow spots). I love 'em, and so apparently do my local trout!

Nothing wrong with a 300 mate..... Best reel ever made in my opinion!!!!
  • Like 1

For trout have a look at ultralight rods with something around the 0.5-7gram casting range with a 1000-2500 size reel and 6-10lb braid . It will cast small spinners and lures better than something heavier and will double for perch and chub aswell . For pike if you don't want to go down the multiplier route and just want a general lure rod have a look at something in the10-30g 15-40g or 20-60g range , depending on the size of lures you'll be using . A 2500-4000 size reel and 20-30-50lb braid depending on what casting weight you go with , and traces to match .

• Like 5

I'm not a serious fisherman, I just tend to steal an hour here and there to try and bag a couple of wild Brownies for the pan. Wouldn't know where to start when it comes to recommending modern kit (I'm still using an old Mitchell 300 reel!) but what I can recommend for wild trout in small/medium sized rivers is a Mepps 0 Black Fury spinner (with yellow spots). I love 'em, and so apparently do my local trout!

My favourite spinner in low clear water, I have had more trout on that spinner than all the others combined.

TC

• Like 2

Depends on what size river you are fishing for salmon. I fish a small river as well as big ones, on the small river i use a diawa whisker 7ft spinning rod 8lb braid or mono, had plenty salmon on it. on bigger rivers i have a 9ft diawa amorphous whisker with 20lb cortland master braid on. A great rod is a 10ft whisker spinning rod, i prefer the older models, they don't stay on ebay for long, that tells you a story.

9' rod with a good tip, casting weights all good but if you cant feel whats happening under the water its no good!

you have to work lures in different ways to provoke attack and some need flicking and dragging others sink and draw.

id go with 20lbd braid for most situations unless its snaggy and your after known monsters

atb si