Sign in to follow this  
Accip74

Venison Wellington : First Attempt

The pastry was shite (rolled too thick), but the meat & the flavour were spot on ;-)

Served with vege mash & a red wine & dark chocolate gravy......

This is one of the things I'll do Christmas Day .....so getting a bit of practice in...

post-89484-0-23749800-1479498933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 6

Absolute favourite. Only use the loin and I make the gravy with fruit, either sweet apple or pear. My goodness that looks good. Jok.

• Like 1

Absolute favourite. Only use the loin and I make the gravy with fruit, either sweet apple or pear. My goodness that looks good. Jok.

It was good. I followed a James Martin recipe for the Wellington. I had the tail end of the fillet, not ideal, but good to practice with....;-) atb

Mmmm

What was the veg mash?

Potato, carrot & cabbage.........too much potato really, but tasted fine... Edited by Accip74
  • Like 2

I'm a great believer in green veg with this dish , in particular asparagus and French beans. Potato layers with onion and ga rlic, black pepper. Really nice red and it's all good. Jok.

• Like 1

I'm a great believer in green veg with this dish , in particular asparagus and French beans. Potato layers with onion and ga rlic, black pepper. Really nice red and it's all good. Jok.

Yes....I serve french beans with venison nine times out of ten tbh.......it just works. I had a Tempranillo with the wellinton :-)

Mmmm

What was the veg mash?

Potato, carrot & cabbage.........too much potato really, but tasted fine...
No such thing as too much potato where mash is concerned.
  • Like 1

2nd Attempt. The meat & flavour were spot on again, but still not happy with the pastry.......but I think I know the mistake I've made, hopefully! :-)

post-89484-0-07079600-1480936626_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Just had a word with the lovely one about the pastry. We tried different ways when doing goose Wellington and all looked similar to yours. Venison Wellington we do the same way and the answer is straight forward puff pastry. Only our opinion. Jok.

Looks delicious, (again).

Did you use a recipe? If so, please share.

What's the pastry problem and what is your solution?

Do you (or you, Jok) do the wrapping in a pancake or a wilted cabbage leaf thing?

You can cook your mushrooms whole in the oven gill side down 20/30 minutes medium heat before chopping and frying them of then pat them down with kitchen towel you want to remove as much moisture from them as you can and make sure everything is stone cold before assembling the Wellington ..but all that aside they look delicious bud id scran the lot lol :thumbs:

Edited by kanny