3/4 Gwp X 1/4 Labrador

obi2

Thinking of getting this cross for general beating on moors and lowlands and using for roughshooting etc. Has anyone any experiences with this cross. My worry is it will range a bit far for pheasants

Edited by obi2
  • Like 1

Thinking of getting this cross for general beating on moors and lowlands and using for roughshooting etc. Has anyone any experiences with this cross. My worry is it will range a bit far for pheasants

This one seems to be doing alright on the pheasants. Photo borrowed from Mik's thread here. If you do not know how HPR work then save yourself some hassle and leave them alone.

post-88284-0-82132200-1475838520.jpg

TC

• Like 3

My first question would be why? What would the lab bring to the table that is not already there?

TC

A few keeper mates have swore by them and wouldn't be without them. They are all grouse keepers right enough but they say they are great dogs for a bit of everything

Hi, I have a pure GWP dog. They have a real natural abilty to keep intouch with you and naturally widen their beat on more open ground and tone it in on more enclosed country.

What do you all do with yours work wise mate?

Mine works as a hawking dog,but they are the most versatile of hpr's being able to turn their hand to a multitude of tasks.

They really don't need anything else crossed into them, I can't see how a lab will add anything that's not already there.

Edited by Moorman 1
  • Like 3

If I started listing the disciplines I done with mine you would call me a liar, lets just say they are the most versatile breed, in over 50 years of keeping dogs, that I have ever seen. That said, the only problem is, that you have to totally change your way of thinking to train them. I was lucky and had help from a person who had trained them for years, even then it was hard to unlearn all you had learned and start afresh. Once I did it was a revelation how quick they could cotton on to what was asked of them.

They are not for everyone I will agree but if the owner can make the change and get in to their mode of thinking. One word, WOW you will never go back to another breed.

TC

• Like 5

My first question would be why? What would the lab bring to the table that is not already there?

TC

A few keeper mates have swore by them and wouldn't be without them. They are all grouse keepers right enough but they say they are great dogs for a bit of everything

The only thing I can think of that a lab would bring to the cross is a toning down of the flair that the GWP has and perhaps make it a little more receptive to different training methods?

TC

If I started listing the disciplines I done with mine you would call me a liar, lets just say they are the most versatile breed, in over 50 years of keeping dogs, that I have ever seen. That said, the only problem is, that you have to totally change your way of thinking to train them. I was lucky and had help from a person who had trained them for years, even then it was hard to unlearn all you had learned and start afresh. Once I did it was a revelation how quick they could cotton on to what was asked of them.

They are not for everyone I will agree but if the owner can make the change and get in to their mode of thinking. One word, WOW you will never go back to another breed.

TC

What way do you go about training them?

TC

What way do you go about training them?

It's really hard to put in to words but the basis is you work with the dogs natural instincts as opposed to trying to stifle them. say you have been training Spaniels and you want them to work within 20 yards of you. Try that with a HPR and neither of you will get anywhere, because it is against all the dogs natural instincts. The difference between HPR and all other breeds is the pointing when you can cast a dog out 2 300 yards away and know when it finds game it will come on point and hold that point till told to flush. The problem with most dog trainers myself included, we always think we know better than the dog. I now know that the dog has a better nose than I will ever have and trust that nose implicitly.

TC

• Like 3

Here is my opinion on the subject ....I have seen a few of these types over the years and like all ready has been said especailly grouse lads ....I rated them but after owning and seeing pure GWP there is no comparison there is something missing with the lab blood or added depending which way you look at it but what I will say is maybe pointers are just too much dog for some folk ...I honestly thought that of mine for a while until you let the dog train you.

I know of a good friend of mine that has a litter at the moment a GWP over a lab bitch who works on a grouse moor ...I have seen these pups advertised and going by the advertisement these dogs will be bang on but in all honesty I would not feed the dam or the sire but at 650 quid a pup its obvious what the real reason for the breeding was ...coming up to Christmas and all that ...just another cokerpoo in reality

• Like 4

Like has been said the only thing the lab does is tones it down but then your not getting the full package. My mate has a GSP x Lab and its not a GSP and its not a lab, personally I thinks its lacking compared to a pure German pointer! He was very excited when it pointed a pheasant but I think its only ever pointed two or three and its probably three or four years of age now. I would just get a GWP you definitely won't be disappointed, their drive and stamina has to be seen to be believed.

DSC_0156_zps5056dc93.jpg

• Like 5