Lamping Time People Go Out

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it a Saturday ...after X factor

I find rabbits well on the ball before tenish , as the night progresses they seem to be more relaxed with a belly full of grass. I think the habit of going late on is born from being were you shouldn

Ive had some of my best nights lamping getting up at 2/3am and getting out for a few hours before sunrise.

Posted Images

I normally go as soon as darkness hits, but a lad i know goes a few hours before sunrise, with good results he says.

years ago when I was a teen I used to go just before sunrise lot more game out in the middle of feilds.but now I like to get back home early so I can get a decent sleep before I go to work.
  • Like 1

I could go anytime between when it gets dark and when dawn breaks but if the moon is any bigger than say a quarter then I prefer to choose a time when the moon hasn't risen yet or has already set. This varies but can be checked here http://www.timeanddate.com/moon/ireland/cork

I also check if the wind will rise or drop http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/clonakilty/207659/hourly-weather-forecast/207659 and what direction it's from and as we all know, try to get between quarry and their best escape route before lighting them up.

As Bosun say's, some of the "hotter" places are better visited late and these I'd say after 2am and preferably on a Monday,Tuesday or Wednesday night when there's less late night traffic. Park sensibly lads,and save yourselves energy by dropping off your catch to pick up with the car rather than carrying it back and it sometimes helps to be able to choose between different routes back to the car too. Good luck ;):thumbs:

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 3

I find rabbits well on the ball before tenish , as the night progresses they seem to be more relaxed with a belly full of grass.

I think the habit of going late on is born from being were you shouldn't be really.

As being on permission there's no need to hide and still have a good nights kip.

post-103007-0-18675500-1479333977_thumb.jpg

Tonight for an hour after work.

• Like 6

I find rabbits well on the ball before tenish , as the night progresses they seem to be more relaxed with a belly full of grass.

I think the habit of going late on is born from being were you shouldn't be really.

As being on permission there's no need to hide and still have a good nights kip.

attachicon.gifIMG_1677.JPG

Tonight for an hour after work.

well years back i had permission on 100 acres , not massive ground but legal , and it was ok for dozen or so rabbits and few foxes . well because i was legal for a change , i would lamp say 10pm . went out one night just after 10 pm , had 1/2 dozen rabbits was by a house but say a field away from it, didnt lamp by the house lamped away from it . had a run on a fox , good course but it got a way, anyway carried on but was 2 fields away from the houses by now, started lamping again got couple more rabbits, then i noticed the light s going on ,in one of the houses then a lamp was flicking about , just kept walking away from the houses. phoned the farmer couple days later , like i always did to go lamping, he said couple houses were complaining about the lamp at night, and said you better not lamp it no more with your dog , as he didnt want to fallout with people living there, so lost the ground :censored: , so a lesson was learnt that night, if you lamp even with permission , deff go after midnight 1 -2am its best way to keep it , but i still went on but deff later time lol :thumbs:

• Like 2