A Bit Of Advice...

Hi all i am after peoples thoughts and advice on this one. A few years ago i was farming on a tenanted farm and had a .222 and a .17hmr when the tenancy was finished we moved i took a full time job so sold the .222 and kept the hmr. I have just had my renewal and the amount of ammunition that I have bought recently was questioned, I have kept the gun at the moment, I have several farms near where i live that I have permission to shoot over and an open ticket for the hmr but a lack of time means that I don't really use the hmr as much as I could.

On these farms I use traps to control the corvids and only shoot for the pot and the enjoyment of being outdoors with no engines revving or people shouting (I work for a surfacing company).

So here's the question would I still be able to put rabbit etc in the freezer with a pcp airrifle? I appreciate that it doesn't have the range of the hmr but doesn't have the problems and paperwork of a rifle either.

So thanks for reading my ramble and any thoughts are appreciated, Richard.

If this post is in the wrong section mods please feel free to move it.

Of course you can, get yourself over to the other part of this site http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/forum/129-airgun-hunting-write-ups/

Sadly Mr Rabid is likely to be right. With all the legislation for everything and added toddler shootings, it is only a matter of time.

Spring gun, gas ram, Co2, PCP, the choice is yours.

Air can be effective in the right hands but it is a completely different game to rimfire shooting.

Remember you will potentially be cutting 2/3+ off your effective range, your field craft will need to be a damn site better to stop them bolting and you arguably need to ensure you are shooting extremwly accurately due to the fact your dropping a hell of a lot of power.

Why not go fac air instead? It'll at least double your range over legal limit air rifle, one small cabinet and one renewal letter every 5 years plus you won't have the hassle of going through a brand new application of you realise you need powder burners again.

In fact why not keep the hmr, get fac air added to your ticket and see how you go with it before you decide to ditch the rimfire altogether.

Edited by Jax13

Yes indeed you can,my advice sell the shi**y hmr (sorry I hate them) buy a pcp in .177 and another .222 job done.

This one made me smile, I get your feelings about the calibre but I love mine its a cz 452 American 16 varmint barrel. I have had it about 10 years and a few tweaks its been brilliant the latest change is a wildcat whisper mod for the .17 replacing the sak and what a difference.

Thank you all for your comments they have confirmed what I have been thinking especially about the possible licencing of air rifles a similar position to where I am now? so as I have just had my renewal I am going to keep it for now 5 years is a long time maybe my circumstances will change and I will have a bit more time. As I said its a gun I really like and get on with its just the extra paperwork and hassle that goes with a firearm and the lack of time. Interestingly when the feo questioned the ammo purchased I asked was there a minimum amount that was needed to be purchased to prove a need and he didn't know...? A good suggestion was go to one of my permissions and have a couple of hours zeroing the gun.

Having said all that the seed has been sown about an air rifle so in the new year will be looking for a springer either a weihrauch hw95k or a bsa lightning se.

Once again thanks for your time and comments Richard.

I have a AirArms S410 PCP in .22. Once you get to grips with the trajectory of the pellet, as there is a greater rise and fall than a rim fire, you'll love it. Because you have to get closer it'll hone your stalking skills. Another plus is you don't get that 'CRACK' that you get with the HMR, makes for a more peaceful outing.