• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Poor hare

You snooze you loose ??

Yes some thing hit one of my permissions and it got the farmers pet rabbits too. But as a rule mixy would only affect that spot but this time it has covered a hell of a large area. A dam good few squa

Went out riding today at work as usual and followed the grass margins along, ground was wet and it was raining I heard a big squelch and carried on the margins are hardly ever rode on the same spot twice I thought it was odd that the ground squelched like it did.

When I looked over my shoulder I was shocked to see a hare flipping about and screaming, clearly stood on the poor thing and it was in a fair bit of pain.

Jumped off but by the time I got back to it it had kicked it self to the other side of the hedge and I couldn't reach it, horse is hunting fit and pissed off that we had to stop so by the time I got around to the gap in the hedge and to the spot the hare was ready to put it out of its misery it was already dead.

The hare looked in great nick, nice coat on it bright eyes maybe slightly smaller than a adult but was not young enough to not know to move out of the way when a horse comes trotting along so of course I took it home for the ferrets ? cant pass up some free ferret food.

My point is many of times we have exercised through stubble or long grass and hares dash out from near her feet but never thought one would be daft enough to not move, do you think it's possible that this could have had the early stages of mixi or the virus people are talking about?

The hares now in the freezer to kill off what ever it may have had on it, but how do we know if these rabbits or hares are carrying or have these viruses when they are alive, and what threat to the ferrets or humans if consumed?

Saw a guy on here say he feeds the mixi rabbits to his ferrets, what if a human was to accident eat a rabbit with mixi or the other viruses?

I think rabbit would be a more popular meat if people understood more about it, for me when I think of a rabbit I think of mixi and that's anything but appetising, and lack of knowlage just tells me to steer clear of eating it all together.

Went out riding today at work as usual and followed the grass margins along, ground was wet and it was raining I heard a big squelch and carried on the margins are hardly ever rode on the same spot twice I thought it was odd that the ground squelched like it did.

When I looked over my shoulder I was shocked to see a hare flipping about and screaming, clearly stood on the poor thing and it was in a fair bit of pain.

Jumped off but by the time I got back to it it had kicked it self to the other side of the hedge and I couldn't reach it, horse is hunting fit and pissed off that we had to stop so by the time I got around to the gap in the hedge and to the spot the hare was ready to put it out of its misery it was already dead.

The hare looked in great nick, nice coat on it bright eyes maybe slightly smaller than a adult but was not young enough to not know to move out of the way when a horse comes trotting along so of course I took it home for the ferrets cant pass up some free ferret food.

My point is many of times we have exercised through stubble or long grass and hares dash out from near her feet but never thought one would be daft enough to not move, do you think it's possible that this could have had the early stages of mixi or the virus people are talking about?

The hares now in the freezer to kill off what ever it may have had on it, but how do we know if these rabbits or hares are carrying or have these viruses when they are alive, and what threat to the ferrets or humans if consumed?

Saw a guy on here say he feeds the mixi rabbits to his ferrets, what if a human was to accident eat a rabbit with mixi or the other viruses?

I think rabbit would be a more popular meat if people understood more about it, for me when I think of a rabbit I think of mixi and that's anything but appetising, and lack of knowlage just tells me to steer clear of eating it all together.

rabbit needs slow cooking in casseroles ans stews or pies, defo needs a sauce as it can dry out or be bland, but it defo nice done southern fried in a crispy coating

The hare looked in great nick, nice coat on it bright eyes maybe slightly smaller than a adult but was not young enough to not know to move out of the way when a horse comes trotting along so of course I took it home for the ferrets cant pass up some free ferret food.

It won't be mixy on a hare, I have never ever seen or heard of a hare with mixy, I do not think it can cross over from rabbits,sure someone will confirm or prove me wrong on that though.

Sometimes they do sit tight, very tight, I have seen them all but trod on in the fields, they have two means of avoiding predation, run like f**k, and sit tighter than a tight thing to not get spotted, 'twas mighty unlucky to get trod on, but it's not an everyday occurrence.

As for rabbits, mixy and humans/ferrets, as far as I am aware it cannot be passed on, I have handled hundreds, more like thousands of mixy bunnies as have most folk I know, and nothing untoward, however, I would not eat one, and wouldn't expect my ferrets or dogs to eat it either.

As with any wild game, it's about knowing what to look for when killing, choosing and preparing them, general health signs, livers, kidneys, all things to look at, I am a fussy eater, but I love game, and I like to source my own when possible, I check for lumps and growths, check the face of rabbits, when gutting them I always check the intestines, under the pelt, the vital organs, everything shows if an animal is healthy and edible.

• Like 1

Yeah hares dont catch myxi only rabbits get it and you can eat them safely but i personally wouldnt. I have fed them to the ferrets if they arent too bad. Discoulered ears and slight swelling are fine but i wouldnt feed the ones with puss coming out their eyes eewww. Hares and rabbits will sit very tight. My wee bitch got a hare last year when i was out ferreting. I never use her for hare as shes just a wee ferreting and lamping dog. We were walking to a set of burrows on open ground with no cover and what would have passed as a rock got up and bolted about a foot away from the dog. The thing is id left either my flask or my gloves behind in the last warren so me and the dog taking the same short route must have literally walked over the hare twice and on the third time its bottle went and it took off. Also i saw my dog when she first started lamping standing over a squatter for the best part of a minute, sniffing the air looking for the rabbit until she realised it was underneath her. Thankfully them days are behind her and she knows her trade now.

• Like 1