Advice Please, Family Bereavement Leaves Me With Lots Of Reloading Kit, How Legal Is It?

Hi all, trawling the net trying to find answers brought me to this page and hoping for some help, advice.

Following a family bereavement I am clearing a room and I have just found a significant quantity of reloading equipment which includes hundreds of primers. Do I need an FAC to hold these (and hopefully sell them) or am I going to hand it all into the police? Certainly historically you didn't need a ticket to buy it but I think now you do. I don't have a ticket :(

Many thanks in advance, your advice is appreciated.

• Like 2

Speak to your local RFD, preferably face to face.

Would suggest NOT speaking to people in blue. Some years back a serving soldier spotted a shotgun sticking out of a wheelie bin. Being a caring citizen he took it straight to the local police shop and was arrested for not having a licence.

My advice would be to call the Old Bill and explain the situation. Then they would have to come and collect the primers, so you wouldn't have to handle them. You could sell the rest of the reloading stuff to whoever wanted it.

Yes you're right 'you' can't have primers in your care..

Also no gunshop will take them in isolation as they can't sell them on as they are 'unaccounted' for, same goes for loaded factory ammo, let alone

reloads, so not much joy there, additionally they will be wary of an unknown i.e. you bearing an illegal commodity, that's worth pence

to them and could prejudice their registered firearms dealer certificate.

It's up to you but I would either pass the primers to the police, explain were they originate, actually they probably won't want to get

involved either, but can't choose not to as they will need to find a firearms 'expert' who actually knows what he/she is looking at (rare commodity)

thesedays sadly.

A gunshop might however buy in non licenced reloading gear as long as it's decent condition and especially if it's branded i.e. RCBS

LEE etc, and just maybe then they would take the primers for 'disposal' as part of the deal?

AF

• 1 month later...

️️Shotgun or rifle reloading gear????

Some one will take them of you,

Hang on a while, you need a ️Shotgun cert to purchase, but not to have in your possession, daft but I think that's how it stands at the moment.

Has far as the loading gear, no need for a licence. John