Sign in to follow this  
ryaldinhio

Shipping Container For A Shed.

Considering one instead of building a shed. Can pick a 2nd hand 20ft one up for 800quid. Water/weather tight. Structurally sound. Mouse and rat proof. Secure....and fugly!

I was thinkin of gettin one and maybe cladding it or add trellace and have ivy/wisteria/clematis etc grown up it. Anyone done anything similar?

• Like 5

Considering one instead of building a shed. Can pick a 2nd hand 20ft one up for 800quid. Water/weather tight. Structurally sound. Mouse and rat proof. Secure....and fugly!

I was thinkin of gettin one and maybe cladding it or add trellace and have ivy/wisteria/clematis etc grown up it. Anyone done anything similar?

I have been toying with the idea myself for a while now. But the problem with me is getting it in my back yard.
  • Like 1

Are they lined? Inside ,just watch out stuff doesn't sweat or the roof gives condensation.

They arent but I had planned on insulating it to stop that. We use them at work and they do get wet on the inside.

I have been toying with the idea myself for a while now. But the problem with me is getting it in my back yard.

I will be able to get one into mine ok. Not sure the misus is guna be pleased like but hey ho! Stick some flower pots round it and grow some stuff up it and itll look lovely! Ha.

• Like 1

I have one. Done a fencing job for a guy and we worked a deal out. Best thing I ever got. Security wise they are second to none.

Condensation was a worry but this one does not get drops of water on the roof like I have seen in the passed. I'm not sure if it's coated with something to stop that.

Anyway I wish I had 2...👍🏻

• Like 1

We use 6 of them as sheds for storage and brew at work and they can develop leaks and they do get condensation if they aren't lined/insulated.

They need to be lined, plywood is the norm. And benefit from air vents to keep the moisture down.

Installing them is a big issue though. Getting them to site and keeping them level and not sinking.

Insulate, line and stick some vents in it.

A 7.5 ton wagon back makes a good alternative. Just get it painted and trellis/cladding up asap or it will look like a gypo site

A pal of mine has just got one as a shed , put a door near the far end , a window in , feather edge boarding all round , pitched roof over and big doors at the end ...he's made a small room for dogs stuff ,sink etc at one end and the rest is for quad bike chainsaws etc ..its cost him a few quid because he's really built a shed over it but he got so pissed of having gear nicked this seemed the only answer .It has some serious locks on it to ..I'll try and get a pic up .

I have two containers, one I paid £1200 delivered and the other £1400 delivered. Both were about 3 months old when they arrived, so basically new. Came on a one way trip from China. Too expensive to take them back and we have got nothing they want, so they are sold.

They do get condensation. One is a work shop and I use a dehumidifier from time to time. The other I use for storage for household items, I insulated and lined this one.

Best shed you can get 20' x 8' and as secure as you can get. Both mine have hardened lock fittings and I use Ingersoll and Abloy locks.

You could also insulate the outside to get a major reduction in condensation,Atb Joe

Problem is then, you'll need to waterproof it. Going inside is neater and cheaper.

But then you'll still have a non breathing, condensation filled tin shed

They have air vents and condensation only forms when vapour meets cold. Insulate the inside and this doesn't happen. Containers are air tight apart from the air vents at the top, they are shipping containers and are made to float. They do not breath no mater where you put the insulation. Even the lined one has the dehumidifier a couple of times a year.

How would you insulate the out side?