10 replies to this topic

#1 stevie67

stevie67

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:38 pm

was out weekend before last and got this buck, i pulled up at my permission at first light and the minute i opened the door i could hear him grunting, he was around 800 yrds away as the crow flies but between me and him was rough ground mainly 5 ft tall ferns that are dead but not rotted down yet. bucks rut here every year but i never venture in there as i no the only way to get a animal out is by dragging it as a quad wont even get in there. i thought i would have a go and worry about the drag if i got him. 1 hour and 15 minutes later i was within 100 yrds of him, he was on a small hill in oak ash and beech so it was fairly clear. i could hear him but couldnt see him so i got to about 80 yrds and put the gun on the sticks and waited, i could see 4 does milling around then he appeared. he never took a step after the shot and was shot into one shoulder and exited behind the other. took me three hours to get him back to the track, i had to beat a path through the ferns with my sticks about 100 yrds at a time then go back and pull him.up and same again. he wasnt big he went 46 kg dressed but such a enjoyable stalk.Attached File  fallow buck 29.10.16 partry 003.jpg   200.78KB   1 downloadsAttached File  fallow buck 29.10.16 partry 004.jpg   184.34KB   0 downloadsAttached File  fallow buck 29.10.16 partry 006.jpg   211.65KB   0 downloads

• foxdropper, sussex, Hydropotesinermis and 3 others like this

#2 Hydropotesinermis

Hydropotesinermis

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:47 pm

Nice work and a lovely pair of tennis racquets for your troubles

#3 Yokel Matt

Yokel Matt

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:44 pm

46kg seems plenty big enough on your Tod mate - nice going and a lovely buck. A bit of sweat and toil adds to the sense of achievement...
  • johonawhitness likes this

#4 sussex

sussex

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:09 am

I'm afraid I would have had to leave him ...finished hand extracting about 4 or 5 seasons ago ..made me sweat thinking about it ....well pulled Stevie. 😀

#5 the scudd

the scudd

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:08 am

i got in on a similar buck 2 weeks ago, had the safety catch off twice but left him cos it would have taken most of the day to get him out.

very nice buck, what county was he taken in

Edited by the scudd, 11 November 2016 - 08:09 am.

#6 stevie67

stevie67

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:21 pm

co mayo scudd, right out on the edge of lough mask. he was as far from any house or track as possible.

#7 foxdropper

foxdropper

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:41 pm

Your a lucky man to have access to fallow mate .Loads round me but all sewn up with syndicates charging stupid money .
Cracking buck mate ,theft very rarely reach such size here in Wiltshire .

#8 Fat-Ferret

Fat-Ferret

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:34 pm

i got in on a similar buck 2 weeks ago, had the safety catch off twice but left him cos it would have taken most of the day to get him out.

very nice buck, what county was he taken in

You could have wrong me, I would have gave you hand - I owe you one for all them burgers! 

#9 the scudd

the scudd

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:18 am

are you the lad who gave me the lift with the washing machine then cleaned me out of sausages and burgers :tongue2:

#10 Fat-Ferret

Fat-Ferret

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:58 pm

That's me! My back was never right since!

#11 the scudd

the scudd

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:25 pm

you near ready for more burgers :yes:

• Fat-Ferret likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users