Afternoon On The Bucks

Keep knocking them down mate, you will need a bigger chiller soon, ever thought about opening a shop ?

Ha ha , no need Rob , my game dealer mate picks them up when I've got ten , have thought about opening a shop but I don't know enough about ladies underwear and Wendy wouldn't let me help in the changing room anyway ....

He must be round most days then !

NOT exactly the type of shop I meant, but I WOULD be available for any help required and I am always willing to learn

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its been a quite buck season so far this year with fewer than normal grassed , I've just not been seeing the numbers about and with a fairly late start to the rut things were hard going . So when the

If you see " fat old man diving for crayfish " in the taxidermy section you know he's bloody got me ..best thing to do when Rob comes round is keep yourself moving ..?

Rain and drizzle this morning which made it a bit softer and quieter under foot we managed to knock this quartet over .     In the cold room at 55, 58, 42, 57lb

Posted Images

Great post rich - making up for lost time on the cull while the weather holds.

As for the shop.... what you lack in experience you can no doubt make up for with enthusiasm

Talk about weather holding Matt it was 16 c this afternoon , it was like a summers day ..added 3 more to the tally though ..

Well Extreme Hunter the weather here is 72 degrees. How do you get a conversation going??? I think the time zone is about 5 hrs difference between us?

That's about 21c here , we would normally be looking at at 6or7c this time of the year . With a 5 hour time difference mate any conversation is going to be drawn out at best ! I have mate over your side at the moment , Wyoming I think , he shot an Elk the other day , dressed out it was 380 lb ...they certainly do bigger over your side ..

So I used the wrong name its sussex.... sorry? Right now its 9.22 AM here I wonder what time it is there? I guess I could Google it. Wyoming is my favorite state to hunt our family has been hunting there for over 20 years. This year I was able to harvest a 25 inch 4x4 at 572 yards. In the past we've been able to harvest some pretty good mule deer bucks there (WY). I do taxidermy as a hobby here and go to taxidermy shows to compete. I'm in the master category after winning Best Of Show in Arizona in the professional division. The deer you have there reminds me of our Couse deer we have in Arizona , New Mexico. When I lived in Arizona I was able to harvest my first Couse deer buck that almost made the Boone & Crocket book. Its score 106 BC points... book is 110.

Edited by Quest
  • Like 1

So I used the wrong name its sussex.... sorry? Right now its 9.22 AM here I wonder what time it is there? I guess I could Google it. Wyoming is my favorite state to hunt our family has been hunting there for over 20 years. This year I was able to harvest a 25 inch 4x4 at 572 yards. In the past we've been able to harvest some pretty good mule deer bucks there (WY). I do taxidermy as a hobby here and go to taxidermy shows to compete. I'm in the master category after winning Best Of Show in Arizona in the professional division. The deer you have there reminds me of our Couse deer we have in Arizona , New Mexico. When I lived in Arizona I was able to harvest my first Couse deer buck that almost made the Boone & Crocket book. Its score 106 BC points... book is 110.

At the time of your post your about seven hours behind us , funnily enough my mate is staying with a professional taxidermist who actually got him the elk hunt , he's still got s ticket for a white tail .Explain the 25 inch 4x4 please ..as for the 572yard shot .....I couldn't SEE that far let alone shoot something with anything other than hope or luck , its bad luck and my good luck ...90 percent of what I shoot is sub 150 yds and of that most by far is less than 100yds ..trophy wise I've got nothing of note save a roe head that made silver ( cic) only because of mass , it's not a thing of beauty ...nearly every thing I shoot are cull animals ....any thing on the wall at mine is story related as opposed to quality animal ..

Wow that's a big difference (time) that means ill have to time myself right to post when you guys normally do. The way we measure throphys as far as mule deer goes is with a tape measure of course . We measure from the widest outside spread square. So 25 inches is the widest outside spread of my buck and we count points that are over 1 inches long but here on the western side of the US we only count one side with the most points. We don't count eye guards they call this western count 25 inches is a good buck by today standards. The holy grail is 30 inches wide my widest spread is 29 1/2 wide.

Most modern day rifles are more than capable of shooting long range if you have the right equipment and know your own skill level. The biggest problem with long range shooting is the wind. Me and my wife had just started to watch the Crown on nexflick. It's interesting to see the other side view....if it's correct history. How do you post pictures on here?

Part of our deer control ,stalking is the art of getting close .Now I'm not having a pop but over your side of the pond it seems the further the shot the happier you are .We have a hugely larger population of deer here per acre but we still manage to get in up close and personal and pick our beast(s).Don't know if just a cultural thing or what but with fewer deer it should be easier to get in closer whatever the terrain.I understand you don't get as much time in the field as us and that chances have to be taken when they present but to my mind you are missing out on a lot of field craft we take for granted because let's face it ,a deer at over 300 yds is just a target with no connection or real satisfaction in its demise other than you hit it .Not meant as a dig mate just a UK stalkers viewpoint.

I wish we had the advantage of a lots of deer and less hunters not happening here unless you get lucky with a limited entry deer tag. Where we hunt the terrain is wide open and very steep and there's lots of hunters hence the long range rig I hunt with. The buck I harvested this year I was able to get within 70 yards the day before but I decided they weren't big enough to fill my deer tag. So I back out and informed my wife and she decided she wanted to go after the bucks. The next day we left our base camp and headed up the trail. Our base camp was around 7000 ft and the bucks were around 10000 ft. When we got to where I had seen the bucks the day before I notice there was one more buck with group and it was something Id like to put my tag on. I ask my wife if she would mind if I harvested that buck and she gave me the two thumbs up. The problem I had was I didn't have much time to set up do to the fact they were moving out of the area... well I got my deer.

I wish we had the advantage of a lots of deer and less hunters not happening here unless you get lucky with a limited entry deer tag. Where we hunt the terrain is wide open and very steep and there's lots of hunters hence the long range rig I hunt with. The buck I harvested this year I was able to get within 70 yards the day before but I decided they weren't big enough to fill my deer tag. So I back out and informed my wife and she decided she wanted to go after the bucks. The next day we left our base camp and headed up the trail. Our base camp was around 7000 ft and the bucks were around 10000 ft. When we got to where I had seen the bucks the day before I notice there was one more buck with group and it was something Id like to put my tag on. I ask my wife if she would mind if I harvested that buck and she gave me the two thumbs up. The problem I had was I didn't have much time to set up do to the fact they were moving out of the area... well I got my deer.

You take your wife out stalking ??....?