Afternoon On The Bucks

Its been a quite buck season so far this year with fewer than normal grassed , I've just not been seeing the numbers about and with a fairly late start to the rut things were hard going .

So when the estate rang me on short notice to say there was a change of plans and asked me if I could get out I jumped at it ...

Arriving at the estate at about 2.pm Weather wise it was bright , cold with a northerly breeze so I drove down to see if any deer were laying up by the side of the wood out of the wind , a quick glass down the hedge revealed a couple of does and fawns , a couple of prickets and a poor sorrel ..as long as I kept well to the right of them they wouldn't wind me so ten minutes later after a crawl across the field I was looking down at what should have been at least 7 deer , that had dwindled to just the buck ..of the bipod 127m he dropped in the ditch just as he was exiting the field ..

With him gralloched I had a drive round to the seat I was going to sit in and on the approach a group of around twenty ran across the road and up the bank , stopping the motor I was out , bipod down on the bonnet and a pricket who stopped to look fell to the 6.5 , at this point I must add these deer are very used to vehicles and people to a certain extent and seldom run far unless they scent you ..

post-81636-0-58528400-1478633664_thumb.jpg

So after gralloching him it's now nearly 4pm before I'm in the seat , with a slopping field in front , a small pond and a copse behind me and a field to my left I can't shoot ..a major rutting stand is seventy yards or so in front of me I'm expecting something to appear hopefully before I loose the light ..4.40 I've got the master buck out , he looks drained , two prickets at about 200 m along with a bunch of does and fawns further down the field , my decision what to take is made up when another pricket walks from behind me virtually under the seat and stops 20 m in front of me ..

Late finish , they weighed in at 92lb , 66lb & 73lb ..in all today I must have seen at least a dozen bucks ..got another slot free slot Friday morning ..

post-81636-0-43963200-1478634887_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its been a quite buck season so far this year with fewer than normal grassed , I've just not been seeing the numbers about and with a fairly late start to the rut things were hard going . So when the

If you see " fat old man diving for crayfish " in the taxidermy section you know he's bloody got me ..best thing to do when Rob comes round is keep yourself moving ..?

Rain and drizzle this morning which made it a bit softer and quieter under foot we managed to knock this quartet over .     In the cold room at 55, 58, 42, 57lb

Posted Images

Nice one rich I'll be up for tea very soon

Watch you don't stuff yourself mate
If you see " fat old man diving for crayfish " in the taxidermy section you know he's bloody got me ..best thing to do when Rob comes round is keep yourself moving ..?
  • Like 7

Nice one rich I'll be up for tea very soon

Watch you don't stuff yourself mate

If you see " fat old man diving for crayfish " in the taxidermy section you know he's bloody got me ..best thing to do when Rob comes round is keep yourself moving .. Or done up as John Wayne mounted atop a twin headed calf

• Like 2

Its been a quite buck season so far this year with fewer than normal grassed , I've just not been seeing the numbers about and with a fairly late start to the rut things were hard going .

So when the estate rang me on short notice to say there was a change of plans and asked me if I could get out I jumped at it ...

Arriving at the estate at about 2.pm Weather wise it was bright , cold with a northerly breeze so I drove down to see if any deer were laying up by the side of the wood out of the wind , a quick glass down the hedge revealed a couple of does and fawns , a couple of prickets and a poor sorrel ..as long as I kept well to the right of them they wouldn't wind me so ten minutes later after a crawl across the field I was looking down at what should have been at least 7 deer , that had dwindled to just the buck ..of the bipod 127m he dropped in the ditch just as he was exiting the field ..

With him gralloched I had a drive round to the seat I was going to sit in and on the approach a group of around twenty ran across the road and up the bank , stopping the motor I was out , bipod down on the bonnet and a pricket who stopped to look fell to the 6.5 , at this point I must add these deer are very used to vehicles and people to a certain extent and seldom run far unless they scent you ..

attachicon.gifIMG_2167.JPG

So after gralloching him it's now nearly 4pm before I'm in the seat , with a slopping field in front , a small pond and a copse behind me and a field to my left I can't shoot ..a major rutting stand is seventy yards or so in front of me I'm expecting something to appear hopefully before I loose the light ..4.40 I've got the master buck out , he looks drained , two prickets at about 200 m along with a bunch of does and fawns further down the field , my decision what to take is made up when another pricket walks from behind me virtually under the seat and stops 20 m in front of me ..

Late finish , they weighed in at 92lb , 66lb & 73lb ..in all today I must have seen at least a dozen bucks ..got another slot free slot Friday morning ..

lovely looking lab buddy

Nice outing there Rich ,your a lucky man.

Thanks FD, added this one just before dusk ,old long faced doe was the pick out of a little group of nine ..post-81636-0-05416400-1478887796_thumb.jpg

Stevie she's coming on really well , no problem under the seat and constantly air scents if we are walking ..

The doe tipped the scales at 62 lb ...

• Like 2

Keep knocking them down mate, you will need a bigger chiller soon, ever thought about opening a shop ?

Ha ha , no need Rob , my game dealer mate picks them up when I've got ten , have thought about opening a shop but I don't know enough about ladies underwear and Wendy wouldn't let me help in the changing room anyway ....??

• Like 3