Here we go again Terry. Looking forward to a banter. Just. Had pheasant breasts, thinly sliced, cooked in virgin olive oil, with one of my big onions, garlic, one sweet pepper and a couple of chillies, some huge mushrooms, (not mine) and black pepper, nutmeg and believe it or not some dill. Flipping brilliant. Even the lovely one thought it was good. Jok

sounds great jok now i just need some pheasants :)

Lol. I've been a convert - more eating than cooking- for a few years.

If I was going to confit the legs (bearing in mind I've never tasted or cooked hare, but assume rabbit x venison) I'd make a rub of some or all of these aromatics: thyme, bay, juniper, coriander, peppercorns and some coarse salt. (Pest + M) And maybe a little lemon or orange zest. I'd massage it into the legs and let the flavour soak in for hour or 2, then shake /wipe off any excess. I'd quickly brown some shallots, whole garlic cloves, maybe some fennel or celery and a root veg or two (Terry's parsnips sound like they'd compliment what I imagine hare to taste like, otherwise safe carrot). Lay the veg in roasting dish same size as legs. Place legs on top. Glug nice olive oil all over then a good dollop of duck fat on each leg. Cover the tin tightly with foil. Cook at 140? 150? for 3 hours. Then I'd prob quickly take off foil, test for softness, maybe turn over, maybe raise heat by 10, re-cover and cook for maybe another 2 hours. All total guesswork.....like Tiercel said on another thread, it's just make it up as you go along.

......Or maybe just look on the google for a recipe.......

Wish I had some hare legs to try this out.

If it worked, I'd serve for lunch with a warm salad of lettuce, peas / pears and toasted walnuts, dressed with lemon and olive oil, or for cold rainy night dinner with potatoes sautéed in some of the cooking fat, and red cabbage.

Just fantasising really.....like I said, never eaten hare, dunno how it cooks.

Jeez I'm starving and himself is out, so just jacket potato and bits and bobs. Sigh.

• Like 2

Lol. I've been a convert - more eating than cooking- for a few years.

If I was going to confit the legs (bearing in mind I've never tasted or cooked hare, but assume rabbit x venison) I'd make a rub of some or all of these aromatics: thyme, bay, juniper, coriander, peppercorns and some coarse salt. (Pest + M) And maybe a little lemon or orange zest. I'd massage it into the legs and let the flavour soak in for hour or 2, then shake /wipe off any excess. I'd quickly brown some shallots, whole garlic cloves, maybe some fennel or celery and a root veg or two (Terry's parsnips sound like they'd compliment what I imagine hare to taste like, otherwise safe carrot). Lay the veg in roasting dish same size as legs. Place legs on top. Glug nice olive oil all over then a good dollop of duck fat on each leg. Cover the tin tightly with foil. Cook at 140? 150? for 3 hours. Then I'd prob quickly take off foil, test for softness, maybe turn over, maybe raise heat by 10, re-cover and cook for maybe another 2 hours. All total guesswork.....like Tiercel said on another thread, it's just make it up as you go along.

......Or maybe just look on the google for a recipe.......

Wish I had some hare legs to try this out.

If it worked, I'd serve for lunch with a warm salad of lettuce, peas / pears and toasted walnuts, dressed with lemon and olive oil, or for cold rainy night dinner with potatoes sautéed in some of the cooking fat, and red cabbage.

Just fantasising really.....like I said, never eaten hare, dunno how it cooks.

Jeez I'm starving and himself is out, so just jacket potato and bits and bobs. Sigh.

I am glad you put the duck fat in for the confit. :thumbs: Hares are similar to rabbits in that the older they are, generally the tougher they are. Hare has a taste of it's own that is a bit "Marmite" you either love it or hate it. As with rabbits the younger it is usually the more you can do with it and cook it quicker and still retain tenderness as in Terry's fried fillet. A 3/4 grown leveret could be treated as venison all be it smaller joints but can be cooked in the same way.

I love hare but hung one for a week once, never again. :bad: I am not a great one for adding heavy flavours to meat, I like the tastes of individual meats so the cooking of them is always a simple afair, enough flavours to compliment the taste of the meat but not enough to overpower it.

TC

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Here we go again Terry. Looking forward to a banter. Just. Had pheasant breasts, thinly sliced, cooked in virgin olive oil, with one of my big onions, garlic, one sweet pepper and a couple of chillies, some huge mushrooms, (not mine) and black pepper, nutmeg and believe it or not some dill. Flipping brilliant. Even the lovely one thought it was good. Jok

How did you cook the pheasant Jok?

Fry it or oven?

I stuffed mine with blue slilton and wrapped it in bacon and stuck it in the oven.

On the net it said 10 mins, bacon looked anemic (like mine on the crispy said) cheese hasn't hardly melted and wasn't risking food poisoning, kept checking it and it was probably in for 25 mins.

It was awful, was so tough I couldn't cut it.

Ate the bacon and veg instead ?

I picked the bird myself it was a cock bird had very small spurs so wasn't like I picked a old tough thing.

Did I over cook it?

How did you cook the pheasant Jok?

Fry it or oven?

I stuffed mine with blue slilton and wrapped it in bacon and stuck it in the oven.

On the net it said 10 mins, bacon looked anemic (like mine on the crispy said) cheese hasn't hardly melted and wasn't risking food poisoning, kept checking it and it was probably in for 25 mins.

It was awful, was so tough I couldn't cut it.

Ate the bacon and veg instead

I picked the bird myself it was a cock bird had very small spurs so wasn't like I picked a old tough thing.

Did I over cook it?

It is easy to overcook - I gave an old neighbour one years ago and asked her how she liked it, Good but very tough and drry she said....I only gave it an hour and a half in the oven!!!

• Like 1

I've done it befor but only way I like it is cutting the saddle in to squares flash frying them and then dipping them in black current jam.., other way was boil it in beef stick for couple hour till meat falls of the bone then put the meat back in frying pan with tiny nob butter and cook till browns off . Then add some black current jam in the pan and stir untill all meat is cover and serv on fresh toasted tigger bread

Just spent 20 mins composing a reply involving everyone only to delete it at a stroke. Prick. Michelle Robinson. Everything was prepared on the top of the range. It did not take that long really, only t make sure the herbs worked correctly. I only used pheasant breasts which as mentioned were sliced fairly thin. Navek is on the money when it comes to using fruit. If I'm being honest I love using quince jelly but any other works fairly well. Just had a lovely little fallow delivered and I'm fairly sure that Gaz_1989 and Navek would like a munch on. (Got some nice rabbiting at the same time).well guys, that time again. Come on dog we're going out. JOK

• Like 1

Just spent 20 mins composing a reply involving everyone only to delete it at a stroke. Prick. Michelle Robinson. Everything was prepared on the top of the range. It did not take that long really, only t make sure the herbs worked correctly. I only used pheasant breasts which as mentioned were sliced fairly thin. Navek is on the money when it comes to using fruit. If I'm being honest I love using quince jelly but any other works fairly well. Just had a lovely little fallow delivered and I'm fairly sure that Gaz_1989 and Navek would like a munch on. (Got some nice rabbiting at the same time).well guys, that time again. Come on dog we're going out. JOK

I never turn down free food especially venison when gaz comes up next I'll gladly help to unburden you of freezer space lol