Saw the Scott Rea pan frying hare fillets last night so thought I would give it a go.

He gave his two minutes either side then rested. I tried that but when I took it out the foil it nearly jumped out the window.

So I cooked it a bit more. It still stayed surprisingly tender and the wife is a big fan.

All veg from the plot. Spuds, roast parsnip in honey, broadbeans and some dwarf beans. The parsnips were delicious :thumbs:

30844218235_6ed2bdb06d_c.jpg

30844224205_962aa699b5_c.jpg

• Like 14

Many years before the ban I stopped hunting hares, not completely but would only take one or two a year for casseroles. No slow cooker then so it was in to a low oven for 4 or 5 hours, the meat would fall off the bone. Absolutely love hare done like that.

TC

• Like 5

Many years before the ban I stopped hunting hares, not completely but would only take one or two a year for casseroles. No slow cooker then so it was in to a low oven for 4 or 5 hours, the meat would fall off the bone. Absolutely love hare done like that.

TC

That's how I cook them mate, bought an electric slow cooker, used it once, feckin garbage, washed it and took it back to argos lol, cannot beat the old gas oven
  • Like 2

TC

That's how I cook them mate, bought an electric slow cooker, used it once, feckin garbage, washed it and took it back to argos lol, cannot beat the old gas oven
We had a crock pot one it was brilliant.we now got the big version from aldi.

I must admit I would not be without the slow cooker now. There are a few tricks to using them but once you figure those out it's as easy as pie. Carrots and swedes I always fry before putting them in the pot, otherwise I find them just as hard coming out as they went in, meat is always dredged with well seasoned flour and browned before putting in the pot. Onions, leeks and mushrooms go in raw, I always make a gravy out of the dredging flour left in the frying pan and cook what ever in that gravy.

TC

• Like 1

Yes the back legs are heading for the slow cooker. Not sure about the frier John lol.

I do jacket spuds and all sorts in the slower cooker. Ever attempted a mint aero sponge thing once that turned out well too after I saw it on the net.

• Like 3

Here we go again Terry. Looking forward to a banter. Just. Had pheasant breasts, thinly sliced, cooked in virgin olive oil, with one of my big onions, garlic, one sweet pepper and a couple of chillies, some huge mushrooms, (not mine) and black pepper, nutmeg and believe it or not some dill. Flipping brilliant. Even the lovely one thought it was good. Jok

• Like 3

Looks and sounds delicious. Never tasted hare. (Only ever seen 2 hares in my life. I thought they were rare and precious, til I came on here). (Although 'on here' is probs not the most unbiased view)

Mint aero sponge sounds intriguing/ revolting/ amazing.

not many around to be honest I don't go after them just knocked a couple over pigeon shooting.

That cake is this one

20140510-090120.jpg

to my amazement mine looked like the picture too

• Like 4