20/12 Spun Poly Single Or Double Strand ?

kenny243

hi al ,

i orderd some 20/ 12 spun poly bij engel and i want to make my first longnet

i would like to make a 50 yard net with 100 procent bagging , so 100 yards stretched net

now i wonder , could i just knit it single or is it best to do it double strand ?

If I was doubling it would be 2 x 25yd nets to keep the nets more manageable.

It will be getting heavy double knitted at 50 yds and then heavier again putting it away when it's wet..

What I would say is make sure you knitting what you want and don't make do as it's a long time knitting.

• Like 3

oke , many thanks for the reply 's !

i started the net and now a mate of mine said you have to do it double , thats why i asked .

i m' at 20 yards now , 2 inch mesh board and 16 wide so in total with the top and bottom selvage it il be 18 wide and 50 yards with 100 procent bag .

you guys have some good advice for me on what twine i should use for the selvage ?

and if still have to find out how i have to hang the net to put the selvage on . i just let it drop in a bag now

many thanks

I would just use same twine again, I thread the length of my net on to a plumbing pipe so it hung and run the salvage along the bottom and passed running line through while I was at it. Spin it over and do it again ..

Don't forget to put the first end pin on as you turn it over..

And Don't forget the pictures when it's done

• 2 weeks later...

As smithie has already said, 20/12 doubled up will be quite weighty. Ive found the 20/12 fine knitted single. I use a 41/2" full mesh on the 20/12 @ 15 deep plus selvages.

We catch hare in 20/12 knitted single. Don't go for them often but no holes in the nets as yet..
  • Like 2