Finding Shot Rabbits?

Thermal in open ground should not be a problem at reasonable ranges but with semi rough cover or rough warm ground even plough at short range is not always that simple sometimes when I walk up to them believe me your better of with a torch or eyes only,thermal at very short range its not that easy finding rabbits,but I am referring thermal rifle scopes.

Edited by goldfinger
  • 3 weeks later...

Save money and try good old fashioned strategies. I try to pick a reference point beyond or near the target before I pull the trigger, e.g. number of fence posts past a strainer post/gate, prominent tree, piece of junk, feature on a hill in the distance, specific star if the night is clear etc. Then I estimate the range and convert this to paces, adjust the conversion to take the roughness of the ground into account. I then count out my paces towards the reference point and bingo - generally ! Sometimes I have to use my head torch though. I have missed a few rabbits over the years but I've shot hundreds with the Photon.

Try and avoid targets in thick vegetation.

Had a play with a seek unit and it was a bag of #&%@~.

Honestly,a torch held at arms length above your head to light down into the grass rather than across it is more use u less your shooting on freshly mown, bowling green flat fields.

If the ground is rough or rutted it won't see them from my experience.

I enquired with a few people about the flir and seek dedicated handheld ones at 400 ish quid for the exact same job and was told by everyone I could find who owned one not to bother.

Hope you had some joy with it though.

Update!

I'm happy to report limited success with my basic compact. I've used it around five times now and it's found four rabbits and that's not including last night when it found the rabbit just before my torch did but it still found it. I'd been looking in the wrong place.

Mr P: When shooting fifty plus yds in the dark it's very handy if you can spot a landmark to guide you but quite a lot of thetime there is none, all the trees look the same and it's not a clear picture looking through N/V. I have an advantage because I use my quad sticks with the extra leg and so my rifle is pointing where the dead rabbit is and I can look back to reference it but even so a lot of time can be lost in the looking.

I reckon my little Seek has already saved me at least an hour. It's never going to compete with the bigger boys and you have to go slow but at £260 delivered from Uttings - sweet talk them into throwing in delivery-, I'm not crying.

By the way, it also has other uses. A couple of weeks ago when the weather started getting nasty I was wondering wher the cold was coming in. That little Seek found every cold spot in the house instantly.

Update!

I'm happy to report limited success with my basic compact. I've used it around five times now and it's found four rabbits and that's not including last night when it found the rabbit just before my torch did but it still found it. I'd been looking in the wrong place.

Mr P: When shooting fifty plus yds in the dark it's very handy if you can spot a landmark to guide you but quite a lot of thetime there is none, all the trees look the same and it's not a clear picture looking through N/V. I have an advantage because I use my quad sticks with the extra leg and so my rifle is pointing where the dead rabbit is and I can look back to reference it but even so a lot of time can be lost in the looking.

I reckon my little Seek has already saved me at least an hour. It's never going to compete with the bigger boys and you have to go slow but at £260 delivered from Uttings - sweet talk them into throwing in delivery-, I'm not crying.

By the way, it also has other uses. A couple of weeks ago when the weather started getting nasty I was wondering wher the cold was coming in. That little Seek found every cold spot in the house instantly.

at what distance can you spot a live rabbit with this unit toxo? im looking for something to help me get the dog closer to the lampshy rabbits.

I honestly don't know ant. Not something I've ever done. At best it's only going to give you a blob of heat. In open ground my Archer can see eyeshine for hundreds of yds given enough IR. For that kind of money you can buy/build a spotter/add on that will do the job much better. Long range thermals are brilliant of course but cost mucho dinero. Have a look at the night vision forum or youtube for some inspiration.

• Like 1