Finding Shot Rabbits?

I'm spending too much time looking for shot rabbits under rhubarb leaves etc. What's the absolute cheapest thermal unit? I know some of the cheaper units won't even see through leaves etc. Have no interest in putting one on the rifle. Just spotting.

Someone said the Seek xtended should be better than the Flir one. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Help me out guys. Just a couple of nights ago I had to give up after wasting half an hour looking in a rough field for a rabbit that was on it's back with legs in the air.

Not much help but looked through a flir tk2 ok nothing super but worked.The seek has been slated by a couple of people on another forum ,try Ringing Scott Country ,their website is on t,internet .They do a try [BANNED TEXT] u buy on their range of products you can then decide what suits you rather than other people,s opinion atb

Buy a spaniel

What on top of the four Westies and the Staffie????

Mind you, the youngest Westie is very sharp. I bet she could find them. All I have to do is spray her black and stop her from barking . :D

Not had a lot of feedback on this topic. I can't be the only one who struggles to find bunnies in a rough field. Here's what I've found for those who are also looking..

The cheap Flir is fixed focus.

The Seek range looks better and have some focus. The Compact Pro has the best sensor size/resolution at 320x240. Will give more detail but is the dearest of the Compacts I think I'm gonna get the XR which has a better refresh rate than the standard which means it's better at keeping up when you move it. It has a smaller sensor at 206x156 but it should be fine for looking for a bunny when you're standing within about twenty yards of where you think it is.

What I don't like is the connection to the phone. Doesn't look too secure but it won't be getting extensive use. And I'll try to get someone like Shane at Custom Rifle Scopes to 3D print some kind of sleeve that slides over the phone.

Sorry about that toxo but never know it might be just my mate lol

I was out with a mate on Sunday and I was struggling to find one. His thermal found it half way down the side of a ditch. His unit was nearly £2000s worth. Even so he wouldn't have found it if he hadn't been looking down on it.

They are not the be all and end all but I hope that my little iphone one will save me hours over a year.

• Like 2

toxo I have a compact pro the newer one for the iPhone brand new here, the phone versions have adjustable focus, the fixed screen versions do not, adjustable focus is a must.There not the best by a long shot but you can have it for what it cost me, if your looking for one.

toxo I have a compact pro the newer one for the iPhone brand new here, the phone versions have adjustable focus, the fixed screen versions do not, adjustable focus is a must.There not the best by a long shot but you can have it for what it cost me, if your looking for one.

Oh Ian!

You're gonna make me say something I haven't said for a while. "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all".

I bought an XR and it's already been dispatched. How much for the "Pro"? PM if you want.

I know for that price they're going to be limited but will it find a shot rabbit?

• Like 1

UPDATE.

The Seek XR arrived today and had a little play. Found a warm flannel easily at 14yds. Even when almost cold so I'm hopeful that it'll do the job. Let you know what happens in the field.

I shoot with a Apex XD75, yes thermal can find fallen quarry but in some cases like summertime in rough plough when the soil holds more heat for longer periods I have found it can be very difficult especially if you down them at range,thermal will pick well when there is difference in temperature between objects these temperature differences only have to be very small,generally this is not a problem but occasionally as I have said it can be with fallen small quarry certain conditions like rough plough or rough ground especially in warmer days/nights things can get difficult to find small quarry.

Edited by goldfinger
  • Like 1