Best Dog For Hare On Small Fields

I had a big numb blue dog that would wop hares in small fields.I'm reading this and

Size is mentioned quite a lot. f**k the size.it either can or can't. And I mean regular not just the odd one.and over 6 seasons. Get something bred right and out off something that's been doing it.then you have half a chance.and stay away from whippets they can't even stop the draft under your door.

Always liked the look of that big dog, where've you been anyway freeze dried, or doing hard time ?
I've been about .lol.just having a break from the zoo.
  • Like 1

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the best rabbit lamping dogs I've ever watched was a first cross pit bull X greyhound ',,this was back in the late ,s early 90s,,,small bitch 22 inch would runn all night,,and did...   Don't

wee bitch up n at them,big or small land doesnt matter.

23" a handy size for anywhere

Posted Images

I don't mind that people ,don't believe a certain cross won't do something without seeing it , but going out to put a lads dog down when you haven't seen it is wrong in my book .

There's types everyone likes and I'm sure they all have their limits ,but they choose them because they suit.

I personally wouldn't own a coursing bred dog , but I know what a good one is capable of,a lot more than running a hare into the ground.

Same as a bull cross ,they are more than a terrier man's dog ,if you pick the right one .

But this bickering over collie/deerhound/bull/Saluki/beddy etc etc bollocks is totally senseless and boring ,if you really don't like any an ingredient don't pick it ,but don't bitch about others that have. It's childish

Not saying I don't believe it cos I haven't seen it, I have seen a few bull/greys and lurchers with a fair amount of bull in running at all the usual quarry, and none of them caught a hare or a deer that didn't panic and bounce off a fence back into the dog. That's what I HAVE seen. I've not seen as many bull x's at work that other people might have. And yes, it might've seemed at the time that I was slating king's dog/dogs, but I wasn't really, it was just bull x's and the heavier bull x types generally. :thumbs: @ king if you're reading this.

You're right though, many different types of lurcher about, and many different types of owner. And again, many types do what isn't really expected of them.

Anyway, like I said, even though my old dog caught me a fair amount of game, I wouldn't entertain another lurcher with beardie in lol.

As for best type for hares in small fields, well I don't think it's as straightforward as that, there are too many variables to give a definitive answer, ie some big dogs are far quicker and more agile than others, some small dogs aren't as agile as some big dogs, but can run for two-three minutes with ease etc etc.

Generally I just used to go for a type I like or fancy, whilst keeping in mind I din't need or want a really good rabbit dog, and let nature take it's course and hope for the best.

And yep, all this bickereing etc is childish lol.

Edited to add, I wasnt really singling king's dog out, he does look in good shape, just not my type of dog :thumbs:

Ive had many an argument on here shark and probably will have many more.

Unwanted arguments.

Im not saying that this is 1 of them.

But ey lifes to short for bickering.

Hope you have a good season.

• Like 1

I don't mind that people ,don't believe a certain cross won't do something without seeing it , but going out to put a lads dog down when you haven't seen it is wrong in my book .

There's types everyone likes and I'm sure they all have their limits ,but they choose them because they suit.

I personally wouldn't own a coursing bred dog , but I know what a good one is capable of,a lot more than running a hare into the ground.

Same as a bull cross ,they are more than a terrier man's dog ,if you pick the right one .

But this bickering over collie/deerhound/bull/Saluki/beddy etc etc bollocks is totally senseless and boring ,if you really don't like any an ingredient don't pick it ,but don't bitch about others that have. It's childish

Not saying I don't believe it cos I haven't seen it, I have seen a few bull/greys and lurchers with a fair amount of bull in running at all the usual quarry, and none of them caught a hare or a deer that didn't panic and bounce off a fence back into the dog. That's what I HAVE seen. I've not seen as many bull x's at work that other people might have. And yes, it might've seemed at the time that I was slating king's dog/dogs, but I wasn't really, it was just bull x's and the heavier bull x types generally. :thumbs: @ king if you're reading this.

You're right though, many different types of lurcher about, and many different types of owner. And again, many types do what isn't really expected of them.

Anyway, like I said, even though my old dog caught me a fair amount of game, I wouldn't entertain another lurcher with beardie in lol.

As for best type for hares in small fields, well I don't think it's as straightforward as that, there are too many variables to give a definitive answer, ie some big dogs are far quicker and more agile than others, some small dogs aren't as agile as some big dogs, but can run for two-three minutes with ease etc etc.

Generally I just used to go for a type I like or fancy, whilst keeping in mind I din't need or want a really good rabbit dog, and let nature take it's course and hope for the best.

Edited to add, I wasnt really singling king's dog out, he does look in good shape, just not my type of dog :thumbs:

Ive had many an argument on here shark and probably will have many more.

Unwanted arguments.

Im not saying that this is 1 of them.

But ey lifes to short for bickering.

Hope you have a good season.

No malice intended :thumbs:

Not meant directly for you mate ,or else I'd have quoted you, it was in general ,it's all the time on here that people run down certain (well all) crosses ,and it just gets boring and wrecks all the decent threads.

Of course we all like different types ,and if a type don't impress , it probably ain't getting used to its strengths ,or it's not a great example..

I don't think there's a perfect do all cross and a mix of types that haven bred for a few generations will more likely get you a better jack off all type.

Even a heavy meat head has its place in some yards.

• Like 2
sorry but i'm one of those people that don't believe a bull x(half or 3/4) could catch a strong winter hare with fair law.not on the fens or smaller fields or in a phone box.[/qu. Like has said in the post above some folk seen lots more animals perform on different game etc different xes and more of the said breed xes not one offs and opinions are best given when experiences of different fractions and individuals of a said type been seen .generation bred types for instance are way different than let's say half three quarter and even seven eighths type and in these generation types there will be half sand three quarter types and so on .atb bunnys.