My Barking Lurcher!!!!!

Hello. Just wondered if anyone could tell me if there is any way to quiet my dog whilst chasing rabbits. She seems to have a bit of a growl when on a rabbit. She is perfectly trained in every other way. I don't have loads of experience with lurchers and my pals that have keep winding me and saying she's a barker and she's going to be no good. Not sure if it's just jealousy because she's better trained and faster than their dogs ha ha .

Hello. Just wondered if anyone could tell me if there is any way to quiet my dog whilst chasing rabbits. She seems to have a bit of a growl when on a rabbit. She is perfectly trained in every other way. I don't have loads of experience with lurchers and my pals that have keep winding me and saying she's a barker and she's going to be no good. Not sure if it's just jealousy because she's better trained and faster than their dogs ha ha .

Stop it running them,get it fitter,even if you think its fit,start it off again on easy slips,the easier the better,let it build its confidence up and if it still yaps and catches learn to live with the noise.

• Like 1

I have a small young whippet x lurcher at the minute that yips in the daytime when he is over matched. I suppose I could use a slip lead and restrict his runs and try and break the habit but in all honesty I am learning to live with it. He does it when over matched, but the way I like to mooch about and hunt, these situations sometimes are unavoidable. It not a desirable trait but then he is a committed little fellow bit limited by his physical size a bit and so frustration can not be avoided sometimes. Get him on the lamp and the odds are stacked more in his favour and he has never made a sound the more action he sees the less he does it in the daytime, but as I say I like to hunt in the daytime as well so probably have to accept it as a fault and enjoy him for what he is, difficult trait to crack once started I reckon atb

Bad news, Ive had 3 in my 30 yrs hunting,bred right, entered right and just never stopped barking.The 1st one i gave until it was 4 yr old until i couldn't take anymore and he was a well proven dog.The 2nd one was bred different but ticking all the right boxes but again a fookin pub singer behind his quarry.

I think we've probably all had one at some time,especially anyone thats been at it for years, I had a 3/4 bred collie grey that was good on rabbits,murdered fox but was mediocre on hare, he would give a yip on tight turns working a hare hard, I kept him till he was 3 or so then a mate asked me for him one day when out checking earths, I'd been moaning about him yipping a bit, so that was that my mate kept him till 15yrs old and only done rabbit and fox with him, didn't suit me because hare was our main quarry in the 70's- 80's and none of it was permission, WM