A Good Mate Is Worth The World.

How long do you hang them for?

This time of year and with the temperatures we are getting in the days not long two days max. They are hanging in the shed now but will be cleaned tomorrow and straight in the fridge. I will breast the Widgeon and pluck the pintail, although the pintails are youngsters so if there are too many stubs of feathers I will skin them and cover

them in bacon when I roast them Sunday.

TC

• Like 1

Was just asking as I plan to get myself and the family a couple of birds for xmas, saves the usual turkey! I've done ducks and geese for xmas in the past and we've bled them, but obviously this isn't a option with wild birds.... does not bleeding them alter the taste or how long they keep for?

Never had Pintail (nor shot one) but have to agree with those who say Widgeon are the nicest duck to eat.

If Widgeon have been on the zostra it can be a bit hit or miss, once they get on the frosted grass they are superb. My favourite has to be Teal for consistency of flavour.

TC

• Like 2

Did not have the time yesterday to do the ducks, but managed it today. When i came do do them a couple were a bit heavy in the shot department, so I breasted them all. I decided to braise them in the slow cooker as I had never tried them like that before The recipe I used was one that I used for braised liver last week just substituting the duck for liver. The ingredients, the mushrooms are missing as I only put them in as an after thought.

WP_20161029_004_zpsakjpetpw.jpg

After chopping the bacon into lardons I fried them till they were crisp, then floured the sliced duck breast fried them till they were browned and added everything together in the slow cooker, then added the gravy made from plain flour and goose fat with a pint of stock added.

WP_20161029_008_zps6nltdesa.jpg

Five hours later and the finished article. And very nice it was.

WP_20161029_010_zpsbb8zkxfz.jpg

TC

Edited by Tiercel
  • Like 10

That looks superb TC, wouldn't mind the recipe off you if I may

I can give you a recipe for what it's worth, I am a make it up as you go along type of cook so have no set recipe's as such. Sometimes they come out great, others, well least said the better I think.

This is my adaptation of a slow cooker recipe of bacon and liver casserole I have just substituted the duck for the liver. You can add what ever you like, I just used 1 leek 2 onions 4 large mushrooms two smoked bacon chops cut in to lardons and the 4 wild duck breasts.

I put the chopped leeks, onions and mushrooms in to the slow cooker, fry the bacon lardons until they are crisp add to the slow cooker. Then fry the seasoned floured sliced duck breast in the fat from the bacon until they have browned and add. If there is any fat left in the fry pan if not add some duck fat, add the rest of the dredging flour and make a rue from the fat and flour, pour the pint of stock in to the rue in the pan to make the gravy add the gravy to the slow cooker and wait 5 hrs.

TC

Edited by Tiercel
  • Like 2

Looks delicious Allan I love that sort of cooking

as far as slow cookers Squeamish personal I find things cook well in plenty of liquid if you want tender and well cooked. Also the high and low are the same I learned. Just high reaches that temp quicker. Flavours tend to more deep and condensed but some times that isnt a good thing if you have added too much of the wrong thing

• Like 2