White Pigeons.

I was asked to shoot some pigeons that were roosting in a barn. Went there and there was an unbelievable amount of crap all over this woman's wood pile. The crap ran all along the edge of all the walls where they had been sticking their arses out over the edge to take a crap. There was also feathers, egg shell and the odd dead chick mixed in with it. Now, you can shoot feral and wood pigeons but only if they fulfil the criteria in the general licence. Now these are pure white pigeons, some call them peace or love doves, and have been purchased by some one to live in one of those dove cote things you see on a pole. The fact they are all pure white tells me they haven't yet bred with any 'wild' pigeons. But what I'm thinking is these birds no longer reside in the dove cote, or where ever they were supposed to live, they have reverted back to their natural state by choosing this barn as their new home. Therefore they are no longer domesticated and this makes them feral. They are also creating a health hazard with all their crap. So to me they fulfill the criteria of a bird that can be shot as part of the general licence. What do others on here think. Shoot?, or no shoot?

Matt Manning in one of his 'The Airgun Show' videos was showing him shoot quite a few pure white pigeons that were living in one of his farmyard perm barns so I am assuming that as they have become feral, you can shoot them as vermin.

Phil

If someone's asked you to cull them, then surely you can oblige? Has it gone past the approaching the owner telling them the plan an seeing if they will try an contain them in an aviary?

Maybe they bought a few pairs and they just bred an they are overwhelmed so are secretly glad that a few go missing

Feral,health hazard flying rats ,carping over her woodpile dead rotting chicks ,broken eggshells = General licence met..Dont be too sure they,re domestics we can see a flock of white pigeon,s less than a 100 yards away.The tree hugger,s at the back of our house has dozen,s of bird feeder,s and a mixed flock are there everyday filling their chops as they have done for the 7 years ive lived here atb.

Edited by Baldcoot
  • Like 1

I did go back on the Saturday night with my AAS410 with a Archer starlight fitted and took out 10 that were in there. Went back the next night and had 6 more. Going to go again this weekend just to make sure they are all gone. The owner is over the moon. She asked how much I was going to charge, I told her nothing as I like the shooting.

On both nights I deposited the dead birds in the corner of my field at the back of my house and on both following days they were all gone so the birds went to feed some thing. If I get any more I'm going to put up my trail camera to see if I can see what's taking them.

• Like 2

As far as the licence goes I'm not sure if your allowed to shoot roosting birds

You are allowed to shoot roosting feral pigeons. You can use a device to illuminate a target, sighting devices for night shooting and mirrors, lighting or other dazzling devices. But this is only for feral and not wood pigeon or any other bird cover by the General Licence.

• Like 1