Whats The Best Boot

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm happy with my 30 quid haix army issue boots off eBay sod spending 300 on a pair of boots I've got kids to feed.

Haix, comfy, well made, good design, cheap, better than Lowa imo  Cheers, D.    

It depends on the person wearing them,there is hacking and there is hacking. Some lads wouldn't wear out a pair of slippers on a building site and others would want to kick a brick up the road in fron

Posted Images

I can see Lidl or Aldi eventually selling gortex boots for under 100. I'd imagine it will eventually become the norm for all boots to be gortex.There would be a large market there for a work boot that would stay dry. They are already doing a waterproof sock similar to seal skinz for less than a tenner. I remember my dad getting a (new on the market)Coleman 1 million candle halogen lamp and 18 amp lead battery pack with metal case 25 plus years ago and it was 300 pound delivered to Ireland.Battery was very little different from any motorbike for 20 pound and lamp was similar to any headlight another 20 pound. Stick them in a different casing and put a fancy name to them and charge 8 times the price for the must have kit.

If you are not a brand tart and don't mind trying something new just pop into go outdoors when they have a sale, they always have a big loss leader to attracked you in hoping you will spend more, the year before last I bought a pair of scarpa boots reduce from £150 down to £75 lovely boots, I also have a pair of north face boots that I got the same deal on they are great if your not moving much so I wear them when fishing and they are really warm, I will need a new pair for next winter so I,ll do the same again, three years for £75 -£25 a year if I get three winters then a year wearing them to work

My Mrs is in her boots 6 days a week from August to February and then most days beyond that. She trains dogs and works dogs on the hill and lowground.

She has Glockners, Lhotse (old Meindls) and Altberg.

Altbergs are ok but she never wears them if she can wear her Meindls on the hill. Just not as comfortable.

She does wear them lambing and gardening through so they arent uncomfortable just not AS good as the Meindl.

• Like 1

I've had the Lhotse ages ago and really liked them. I'd have another pair. Replaced them with the Dovre which I thought was awful fit and got rid. I now have Altberg Gamekeepers with the Svartz anatomic innersole which are by far the best boots I've ever worn. I've tried Altberg's new A-form boots too which I reckon I'll be buying next (with a set of svartz inners).

Meindl suit a lot of folks but going to the Altberg store and trying different stuff is great for anyone who maybe struggles with boot fit but wants the very best quality boot available.

• Like 1

I've had the Lhotse ages ago and really liked them. I'd have another pair. Replaced them with the Dovre which I thought was awful fit and got rid. I now have Altberg Gamekeepers with the Svartz anatomic innersole which are by far the best boots I've ever worn. I've tried Altberg's new A-form boots too which I reckon I'll be buying next (with a set of svartz inners).

Meindl suit a lot of folks but going to the Altberg store and trying different stuff is great for anyone who maybe struggles with boot fit but wants the very best quality boot available.

That's the way to do it. In truth most of us buy online, mainly because finding a place that has a good range of boots to try is so difficult. I can't think of one place near me. Plenty of outdoor shops selling a small selection of boots for rambling etc, but not much else........

I'm always looking at boots online, but wishing I could just walk into a shop & try the fcukers first!

That's the way to do it. In truth most of us buy online, mainly because finding a place that has a good range of boots to try is so difficult. I can't think of one place near me. Plenty of outdoor shops selling a small selection of boots for rambling etc, but not much else........

I'm always looking at boots online, but wishing I could just walk into a shop & try the fcukers first!

It cost me 35 quid in diesel to do the 240 mile trip to the shop for a 25 quid pair of inners! LOL.

But was worth it and in addition I tried on a couple other boots and learnt a thing or two. They gave me a large tin of dubbing too. I wouldn't hesitate to go again.

Most folks wont need to and as you say will satisfactorily buy on line.

• Like 1

It cost me 35 quid in diesel to do the 240 mile trip to the shop for a 25 quid pair of inners! LOL.

But was worth it and in addition I tried on a couple other boots and learnt a thing or two. They gave me a large tin of dubbing too. I wouldn't hesitate to go again.

Most folks wont need to and as you say will satisfactorily buy on line.

That's the sort of thing I end up doing. I much prefer the experience of talking to people & seeing for myself firsthand....;-)

Even harder when you're a size 14 and my feet are not wide fit , bloody nightmare, danners are the most comfortable I've had , but wearing lowas now, bit heavy but should last well. Atb Joe

Size 14 ??bloody hell Joe I thought my nephew had big feet with size 13 Mind He is 6ft 5 tall ..

• Like 1

Even harder when you're a size 14 and my feet are not wide fit , bloody nightmare, danners are the most comfortable I've had , but wearing lowas now, bit heavy but should last well. Atb Joe
Size 14 ??bloody hell Joe I thought my nephew had big feet with size 13 Mind He is 6ft 5 tall ..

Joes only 5 foot 4" :D

Cheers, D.

• Like 1