Foxhound Cross Harrier

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We don't walk out hounds but we're trencher and it doesn't suit us but we're hunting mountain and it doesn't bother us. I don't say this to argue with anyone but a chap said to me a few years ago th

what rubbish if they want to hunt they will hunt just because your hounds walk to heel come back to the horn just means your the pack leader your the one in control if you lock your hounds up all week

Yeah I know him , and definitely agree he is a good fella

No but if they are not getting out ever week then chances are they will be alot harder to control and if not seeing hares regular then there wont be much chance stopping them

totally agree there. When i get my licease here in a few weeks . They will be flat out . The bitch is sticking round my feet alot more which is unusual. Mabey i need to walk her through more bits?

I found walking out hounds was the quickest way to take there independents away and was only teaching them to stay around your feet and if you start walking through cover with them you will have to be doing it for evermore.

what rubbish if they want to hunt they will hunt just because your hounds walk to heel come back to the horn just means your the pack leader your the one in control if you lock your hounds up all week take them out at the weekend and they fly from the trailer to the cover like greyhounds out of traps doesnt mean they are any better just mean you cant control them i know what type most land owner would prefair on there ground
  • Like 3

We don't walk out hounds but we're trencher and it doesn't suit us but we're hunting mountain and it doesn't bother us. I don't say this to argue with anyone but a chap said to me a few years ago that his hound pups didn't hunt for the whole first season because he had road walked them too much and they had gained too much manners. This is complete SHITE it's impossible to stop a hound that wants to hunt having a pack with manners is beautiful to see, letting them in together in cover, walking country with them in behind. It's very important in farmed country but it will never stop them hunting and if it does....then you've one less to feed!!

• Like 6

Very true alot of people that dont hunt with hounds much see hound runnining about half wild crashing threw cover looking busy may think thats a great hound in realitly its got its head in the air doinng very little apart from being glade to get out

• Like 1

We don't walk out hounds but we're trencher and it doesn't suit us but we're hunting mountain and it doesn't bother us. I don't say this to argue with anyone but a chap said to me a few years ago that his hound pups didn't hunt for the whole first season because he had road walked them too much and they had gained too much manners. This is complete SHITE it's impossible to stop a hound that wants to hunt having a pack with manners is beautiful to see, letting them in together in cover, walking country with them in behind. It's very important in farmed country but it will never stop them hunting and if it does....then you've one less to feed!!

A great post.