They are a good comf truck, not great on fuel but I had worse, problem is, some were good, most had issues, do you know much about range rovers ? If not you will after a while of running that !

I have a ton of spare parts in my workshop for one, air suspension was a favourite let down, as well as the hot starting issue, electrics were not great, but the engine was good and strong, when they are running well they a real nice motors, it just kept having faults appear

Is it manual? Sometimes they seem to lose power between gear changes when cold and the injector light comes on for a split second, dip the clutch again and it goes away, comfy jeeps, drink more than an alco at an alco party. Listen out for whirring noise from rear diff too. Mine the 2.5 dse was chipped, it went like stink

If it's the 2.5 dse I have the variable plug and play chip, more Hp and better economy, I think it gave me about 7 to 8mpg more, and upped the power about 50hp, these figures are from memory but they were in that ball park.

If it's had the coil conversion done then that's a lot of headaches out the way.

If it's auto, do NOT be tempted to coast out of gear, they usually only do a few mile before they go pop ! My Mrs blew my box up trying to coast it downhill to the garage when she had run it down to fumes !

Other things were props, it seemed to go through the uj's a bit, but then mine was heavy towing everyday, loved it as a tow motor, it just pulled and pulled.

There is a hot start fix for less than £20, you will soon find out if you need one or not, they are pigs to start once warm or they are fine, should be a bmw straight 6 engine, an excellent solid engine usually.

Lovely comfortable long distance motor when they are running well, and a fairly good workhorse, I had a lot of overheating problems in the end, turned out the cooling system was pretty sludged up, new rad and a flush out soon sorted it, parts are a fairly good price considering the badge, if I knew I could get a good one, or I was only using it local or low mileage I would have another one.

Is it manual? Sometimes they seem to lose power between gear changes when cold and the injector light comes on for a split second, dip the clutch again and it goes away, comfy jeeps, drink more than an alco at an alco party. Listen out for whirring noise from rear diff too. Mine the 2.5 dse was chipped, it went like stink

That's not isolated to manuals, my auto one had it as well, the light I believe is actually fuel pump pressure, mine did it for 5 or 6 years, only ever a blip for a second or so, never caused any major problems so I let it be.

Thinking about it, I should still have a reconditioned pump for one in my workshop, air con pump, belts, filters, God only knows what else is on the shelves for it.

That's not isolated to manuals, my auto one had it as well, the light I believe is actually fuel pump pressure, mine did it for 5 or 6 years, only ever a blip for a second or so, never caused any major problems so I let it be.

Thinking about it, I should still have a reconditioned pump for one in my workshop, air con pump, belts, filters, God only knows what else is on the shelves for it.

yep just a blip, I found the discos more versatile and better everyday driver, but rot like a Jeremy kyle contestants teeth
  • Like 1

I preferred my rangie over my disco, never did gel with the disco even though the only thing it ever needed was tyres.

Yeah they rot like nowt you can imagine, when I broke my rangie for bits, the chassis looked like it hadn't been out the factory a year, it really did look mint, we were all amazed as it was off road most days at work, the body work was also immaculate.

I preferred my rangie over my disco, never did gel with the disco even though the only thing it ever needed was tyres.

Yeah they rot like nowt you can imagine, when I broke my rangie for bits, the chassis looked like it hadn't been out the factory a year, it really did look mint, we were all amazed as it was off road most days at work, the body work was also immaculate.

yep bmw know how to make them solid. I'd love to do a 110 galv project

If it's the 2.5 dse I have the variable plug and play chip, more Hp and better economy, I think it gave me about 7 to 8mpg more, and upped the power about 50hp, these figures are from memory but they were in that ball park.

If it's had the coil conversion done then that's a lot of headaches out the way.

If it's auto, do NOT be tempted to coast out of gear, they usually only do a few mile before they go pop ! My Mrs blew my box up trying to coast it downhill to the garage when she had run it down to fumes !

Other things were props, it seemed to go through the uj's a bit, but then mine was heavy towing everyday, loved it as a tow motor, it just pulled and pulled.

There is a hot start fix for less than £20, you will soon find out if you need one or not, they are pigs to start once warm or they are fine, should be a bmw straight 6 engine, an excellent solid engine usually.

Lovely comfortable long distance motor when they are running well, and a fairly good workhorse, I had a lot of overheating problems in the end, turned out the cooling system was pretty sludged up, new rad and a flush out soon sorted it, parts are a fairly good price considering the badge, if I knew I could get a good one, or I was only using it local or low mileage I would have another one.

I had the 4.6 hse auto biography with callaway special engine thing to go .but they all have a computer under passengers seat that controls everything and if it goes wrong cost more than motors worth , also to much electronics to go wrong if your doing lots off roading and the lock out code u do with the key in the door lock when battery fails in remote drives u insane .by the way word of advise a lot of diesel chips con the ecu in to thinking engine is cold just throws in more fuel ,which put fuel pressure high in turn damages injectors and pistons watch what you fit most just a cheap resistor in a box . Edited by scottish lurcher

Hi Guys,

I have inherited a Range Rover P38. What are your opinions on this? Any good? Or should I trade in and buy something else?

I will be using it mainly for carting the dogs around and the odd bit of Green laneing

the best thing you could do...is trade it in against a jap 4x4,