Sturdier Boots

What's a good walking boot that's sturdy and won't fall apart too quickly?

Gone through a pair of Altbergs I bought last winter but have barely used and the pair before that didn't last very long either,I'm just after something more durable.

Any suggestions?

What altbergs andbwhat ypu doing that only got season? Digging

These ones are sneekers the last were different but i can't remember which type,I do a lot in them but not digging.

Walking and work (not manual) mostly,I might have given them some abuse in doing some work on the house/garden and wildcamping too,but nothing too heavy.

They're comfy but don't seem to be holding up for me anymore.

I'd gets some meindles, I draged me heels paying the price of them for a few seasons and tryed every other boot instead then had enough of wet feet ect. . so went and got a pair . . . . . very please with them, like walking round in slippers.

Out grouse beating the other week, one keeper had his four year and they where still near new looking and another keeper had his nine year, they did look well worn but still water tight.

Meindl are very comfy, but I only got 18months out of mine. Between me and the wife we have 4 pairs of Haix Tibet. wet, bog various types of animal crap. 8 plus hours a day 12 months of the year. The oldest pair (4 years) have a very slight leak, but only if they have not been polished. Light as well compared to the meindl.

• Like 2

Meindle I had only lasted a season, comfy as fook an look part to be fair but I never got a second season, same as Iowa, I had altbergs when in army that's why invent back to them and guy in factory shop pointed me out to the heavier duty ones, weren't as comfy as Meindle out box but after a week or 2 they was fine

What type have you gone with that lasted?

I wouldn't want any ecw ones because I wear them through the summer too for work.

Or I might just have to buy a few different pairs,which isn't gonna be cheap if I go with Altberg.

Meindl are very comfy, but I only got 18months out of mine. Between me and the wife we have 4 pairs of Haix Tibet. wet, bog various types of animal crap. 8 plus hours a day 12 months of the year. The oldest pair (4 years) have a very slight leak, but only if they have not been polished. Light as well compared to the meindl.

Walked the soles out of my haixs after 9 month and leaked after 4 month and not worn in when I finished with them.

Funny how some boots are good for some but not for others.

• Like 2

Got a new pair of Haix here, only worn them once but they look very heavy duty, I think they will take a bit of breaking in.

Not too heavy mind, just quite stiff, really nice boots.

Edited by shepp

Walked the soles out of my haixs after 9 month and leaked after 4 month and not worn in when I finished with them.

Funny how some boots are good for some but not for others.

Thats mass production for you. To be fair, the soles are the weak point on Haix. They are a tactical boot, so the grip is fairly shallow. But until I get a duff pair, I'll keep using them. However, I am a curious fecker, so my Meindl will be replaced with either Hanwag or Brandecosse.

• Like 1

They used to be called high moor gamekeeper but now the gamekeeper and high country are 2 diff boots, mine are gamekeeper tho as they a bit heavier duty I think, give the factory a phone or visit mate

I might do,but it's an expensive guessing game if whatever they suggest don't last long either.

Thing with altberg is the guy you get on phone, is actually one of the top guys that make the boots aswell, and if not then ask for him, as the shop is in the factory itself. Or buy some Dunlop wellies and make do haha

When I called and asked for advice the girl on the other end knew less about Alt-Bergs than I do, said somebody would call me back but it never happened.

I really liked the Sneeker Aqua but they are a very lightweight boot (1.8mm leather), still mine were very robust considering. They've survived the bramble infested country I live in so I can't say I have had a similar experience to you Neems.

I've just last week got a new pair of the Gamekeepers and they seem great, much prefer them to the Meindl Dovres, but that's just a personal preference due to the choice of a narrower fit option. Far more robust build (2.8mm leather) than the Sneeker, but then they are designed to be. They are gonna take a bit of breaking in for me but time will tell how they go, though I have total confidence they will perform.

Just as a lowland walking boot I'd always go Sneeker but for tough abuse the Gamekeeper type or Dovres (depending on preference) are tougher and more supportive.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

I really liked the Sneeker Aqua but they are a very lightweight boot (1.8mm leather), still mine were very robust considering. They've survived the bramble infested country I live in so I can't say I have had a similar experience to you Neems.

I've just last week got a new pair of the Gamekeepers and they seem great, much prefer them to the Meindl Dovres, but that's just a personal preference due to the choice of a narrower fit option. Far more robust build (2.8mm leather) than the Sneeker, but then they are designed to be. They are gonna take a bit of breaking in for me but time will tell how they go, though I have total confidence they will perform.

Just as a lowland walking boot I'd always go Sneeker but for tough abuse the Gamekeeper type or Dovres (depending on preference) are tougher and more supportive.

Ye never got the stark ones or whatever they called did ye, anti scratch ones?

No, I was tempted for bramble protection but I don't like the look and frankly I'm a bit dubious of those type. I like a bit of a high rand but that's a bit much for me. So long as the leather is decent and theirs a gore-tex type lining that should be ample tough enough for a boot imo.

I'm very happy with the Gamekeeper so far. Well made boot and the three width options is a great idea.

• Like 1