22 replies to this topic

#1 neems

neems

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:40 pm

What's a good walking boot that's sturdy and won't fall apart too quickly?

Gone through a pair of Altbergs I bought last winter but have barely used and the pair before that didn't last very long either,I'm just after something more durable.

Any suggestions?

#2 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:43 pm

What altbergs andbwhat ypu doing that only got season? Digging

#3 neems

neems

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:27 pm

What altbergs andbwhat ypu doing that only got season? Digging

These ones are sneekers the last were different but i can't remember which type,I do a lot in them but not digging.

Walking and work (not manual) mostly,I might have given them some abuse in doing some work on the house/garden and wildcamping too,but nothing too heavy.

They're comfy but don't seem to be holding up for me anymore.

#4 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:35 pm

I think them sneaker boots are quite light weight and that, I've just done a pair of altberg high moor keeper boots or summat, they are one the more expensive pairs I'm sure, 190 rings a bell but it had 7 good seasons out them, with odd bit digging as well but not half as much as terriermen. I was getting a season or 2 tops from lows an Meindle but like I say these have lasted a lot longer, he heavier than sneakers tho
  • Born Hunter likes this

#5 Fieldsporthunter

Fieldsporthunter

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:54 pm

I'd gets some meindles, I draged me heels paying the price of them for a few seasons and tryed every other boot instead then had enough of wet feet ect. . so went and got a pair . . . . . very please with them, like walking round in slippers.
Out grouse beating the other week, one keeper had his four year and they where still near new looking and another keeper had his nine year, they did look well worn but still water tight.

#6 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:06 pm

Meindle I had only lasted a season, comfy as fook an look part to be fair but I never got a second season, same as Iowa, I had altbergs when in army that's why invent back to them and guy in factory shop pointed me out to the heavier duty ones, weren't as comfy as Meindle out box but after a week or 2 they was fine

#7 trenchfoot

trenchfoot

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:34 pm

Meindl are very comfy, but I only got 18months out of mine. Between me and the wife we have 4 pairs of Haix Tibet. wet, bog various types of animal crap. 8 plus hours a day 12 months of the year. The oldest pair (4 years) have a very slight leak, but only if they have not been polished. Light as well compared to the meindl.

• neems and W. Katchum like this

#8 neems

neems

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:35 pm

Meindle I had only lasted a season, comfy as fook an look part to be fair but I never got a second season, same as Iowa, I had altbergs when in army that's why invent back to them and guy in factory shop pointed me out to the heavier duty ones, weren't as comfy as Meindle out box but after a week or 2 they was fine

What type have you gone with that lasted?

I wouldn't want any ecw ones because I wear them through the summer too for work.

Or I might just have to buy a few different pairs,which isn't gonna be cheap if  I go with Altberg.

#9 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:39 pm

Gamekeeper high moor boot I'm sure they called pal, I'll check for you tho

#10 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:45 pm

They used to be called high moor gamekeeper but now the gamekeeper and high country are 2 diff boots, mine are gamekeeper tho as they a bit heavier duty I think, give the factory a phone or visit mate

Edited by W. Katchum, 18 October 2016 - 08:55 pm.

• neems likes this

#11 Fieldsporthunter

Fieldsporthunter

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:59 pm

Meindl are very comfy, but I only got 18months out of mine. Between me and the wife we have 4 pairs of Haix Tibet. wet, bog various types of animal crap. 8 plus hours a day 12 months of the year. The oldest pair (4 years) have a very slight leak, but only if they have not been polished. Light as well compared to the meindl.

Walked the soles out of my haixs after 9 month and leaked after 4 month and not worn in when I finished with them.
Funny how some boots are good for some but not for others.
  • trenchfoot and W. Katchum like this

#12 shepp

shepp

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:03 pm

Got a new pair of Haix here, only worn them once but they look very heavy duty, I think they will take a bit of breaking in.
Not too heavy mind, just quite stiff, really nice boots.

Edited by shepp, 18 October 2016 - 09:14 pm.

#13 trenchfoot

trenchfoot

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:05 pm

Walked the soles out of my haixs after 9 month and leaked after 4 month and not worn in when I finished with them.
Funny how some boots are good for some but not for others.

Thats mass production for you. To be fair, the soles are the weak point on Haix. They are a tactical boot, so the grip is fairly shallow. But until I get a duff pair, I'll keep using them. However, I am a curious fecker, so my Meindl will be replaced with either Hanwag or Brandecosse.

• Fieldsporthunter likes this

#14 neems

neems

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:22 pm

They used to be called high moor gamekeeper but now the gamekeeper and high country are 2 diff boots, mine are gamekeeper tho as they a bit heavier duty I think, give the factory a phone or visit mate

I might do,but it's an expensive guessing game if whatever they suggest don't last long either.

#15 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:27 pm

Thing with altberg is the guy you get on phone, is actually one of the top guys that make the boots aswell, and if not then ask for him, as the shop is in the factory itself. Or buy some Dunlop wellies and make do haha
  • neems likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users