• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We all have out beginnings with hunting, -and bow hunting was no different or me. When I turned 14, the population of deer in Kansas was just getting to the point of being huntable. Remember all the

Just got home from a day out,my missus said there's a delivery came for you,odd as I haven't ordered anything,she had only bought me a new bow in the correct colour and draw length for my mountain lio

Posted Images

Sorry BH and Mackem, just seen this post. Regards my trip to NZ I made contacts on the Internet before I went and they were amazing really looked after us. Pig hunting, deer stalking, fishing, jet boats, goat shooting, sea fishing, the absolute works were laid on for us. Lively genuine people. If you take your FAC to police over there you can get a temporary nz firearms permit so we just bought a .270 and cracked on. If you go take scope, sling, bipod, case etc with you as the accessories really bump up the price. Any other info just ask. Cheers

• Like 2

I decided not, we were camping so had loads of gear anyway. Firearms in airports is another extra hassle too. It's so easy to get the licence and you can buy any rifle you like, which is a fun thing to do in itself. We just sold the rifles at the end of the trip, lost money on them as you would but not masses and certainly got our money's worth.

We also bought a .22 and shot possums, hares, rabbits etc. I forgot to mention that in the first post.

• Like 2

There was three of us and we were there 7 weeks, flights were £680 with China Southern, hired a car which was about £500 between us and probably spent about £3k average. One of the lads is loaded and spent loads and one skint and tried to budget. I was somewhere in the middle. If I went again I would get a camper van rather than a car as accommodation is not cheap but you can park up pretty much anywhere. The DoC campsites are good but basic and the private ones are good but pricey. Going out drinking is seriously expensive!

• Like 1

Owe you a like :victory: That's seriously cheap for 7 weeks,even cheaper considering the adventure you had,I don't drink so that expense isn't factored in food for thought mate,what was the best part for you,and north or south island?

South island was my favourite by far, although to be fair, we did spend more time there as the earthquake stopped the ferry for a week. The west coast was stunning but very wet, South land was good, fjord land was spectacular. I liked the area round Nelson and also the catkin mountains. Basically it was all good. Just talking about it makes me want to go back!

It took me about 3 months to get over hating this country when I came back lol

• Like 2

If you are seriously planning a trip I could put you in touch with the one of lads I stayed with in the south island? I think he'd like to do the same again but maybe charge a bit for it this time, I can't imagine he'd be extortionate though and would be worth every penny in my opinion

• Like 2

And while we're talking foreign hunting, I'm really liking the look of Wyoming the past couple weeks. Looks right up my street. Mountain hunting, wolf hunting and particularly antelope hunting in the prairies.

Take a coat. I was in Evanston, in June, and it snowed! :icon_eek:

Daniel I have just been shooting a recurve at the gamefair,fingers is totally alien to me,release and compound is far easier,i can see myself buying a recurve though,lot of fun and very basic :thumbs:

I've got a hand me down bow that I'm learning on. I want to shoot traditional for a while before I even attempt a compound. I know the weights are lower, and they're much more difficult but it's a skillset that fascinates me. :thumbs:

• Like 3

And while we're talking foreign hunting, I'm really liking the look of Wyoming the past couple weeks. Looks right up my street. Mountain hunting, wolf hunting and particularly antelope hunting in the prairies.

Take a coat. I was in Evanston, in June, and it snowed! :icon_eek:

Daniel I have just been shooting a recurve at the gamefair,fingers is totally alien to me,release and compound is far easier,i can see myself buying a recurve though,lot of fun and very basic :thumbs:

I've got a hand me down bow that I'm learning on. I want to shoot traditional for a while before I even attempt a compound. I know the weights are lower, and they're much more difficult but it's a skillset that fascinates me. :thumbs:

That'd suit me, I like a log fire.... in June. LOL

I took my rig over to a mate's on Saturday now I have all the bits bolted on and roughly set up. He's shot all sorts of trad' bows for years, makes his own arrows etc. Anyway after a coffee we went off to flick a few arrows. Shooting a compound for him was totally alien! Like I said to him, it has more in kin with a rifle than a longbow! Amazing bits of kit and a tack driver at 20 yards.

I'd like to have a proper play with a trad' bow in the future (messed about before). The lads that can shoot those with precision have a gift and what a brilliantly simple (but capable in the right hands) weapon to go into the wilderness with!

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't quite make them out mate, whitetails or young Elk?

That looks some nice country! Utah right?

Young white tails, them. Southwest Utah, at the arse end of the rockies.

The commute is a bitch...

post-22-0-33137400-1503349528_thumb.jpg

But it get's a little quieter when you get out of the truck...

post-22-0-70899100-1503349546_thumb.jpg

F*cking miserable place, it is... :thumbs:

• Like 4