What did you do with the bear's Daniel?I was in a bowshop in quebec 2 years ago,the lady who worked there had a full black bear mount in the shop,she was quite an accomplished bow-hunter,have you got yours mounted?How much meat do you get off a moose,they look bigger than cows.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We all have out beginnings with hunting, -and bow hunting was no different or me. When I turned 14, the population of deer in Kansas was just getting to the point of being huntable. Remember all the

Just got home from a day out,my missus said there's a delivery came for you,odd as I haven't ordered anything,she had only bought me a new bow in the correct colour and draw length for my mountain lio

Posted Images

we used to eat the bear meat mackem mainly stews and peperami and sausage.

rule of thumb with most animals is you get 50% meat to live weight so most of the moose i got was probably about 1200 pounds live weight so 600 pounds of meat,

.i used to shoot 3 deer also ,always tried to get a trophy buck with rifle during the rut and 2 deer with my bow in the bow early season.

a big trophy mule deer can go 350 pounds.

ended up selling all my taxidermy and had some stolen by a dodgy taxidermist.including a boone and crockett black bear and a 110 pound wolf. he ripped off a load of his customers and dissapeared.

the hunting was out of this world,so much opertunities especially if your young and fit

,hunters would go sheep hunting ,goat hunting. for a couple of weeks at a time.

BC has to be the best area in N america for hunting.such a variety of species.and differant ecosystems from desert,rain forest,coasts,mountains and swamps.absolutely amazing area.

we came back for family reasons really, our parents are getting old. and work isnt always easy abroad, lots of working away.so we decided to come back,

we might go back when the kids have finished school if they want to.

• Like 1

I have been watching this guy mate,he goes all over the world doing self-guided hunts,i think its his job from sponsorship,new Zealand looks the place for self-guided,he has even self-guided on Tahr

Great pics Daniel.

On a similar topic, I was surprised to find out recently that foreign visitors can hunt unguided in New Zealands public lands with just a permit. Thats for all game. Something I think will be closed in the future.

• Like 1

And while we're talking foreign hunting, I'm really liking the look of Wyoming the past couple weeks. Looks right up my street. Mountain hunting, wolf hunting and particularly antelope hunting in the prairies.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2

Ha, we are on the same wavelength mackem!

I am taking a trip somewhere towards the back end of the year,i have a couple of mates in south island NZ and I know a guy on north island,if I wasn't going to try and finish my nppl this year I might have went to NZ as apparently you can just rock-up,and bowhunt large numbers of goats,i just heard a guy from my childhood has terminal cancer,we aren't around forever,lights can go out anytime,carpe diem :victory:

• Like 2

anyone can bowhunt in france also, unguided with certain permits. the language barrier is a problem though. i still cant find the right department to get a permit LOL

one problem with unguided hunts, is it takes a long time to learn an area and find game.

• Like 1

And while we're talking foreign hunting, I'm really liking the look of Wyoming the past couple weeks. Looks right up my street. Mountain hunting, wolf hunting and particularly antelope hunting in the prairies.

Check out the lower states also like florida,texas louisianna, theres some very affordable hunts down there for pigs and deer and turkeys

• Like 3

anyone can bowhunt in france also, unguided with certain permits. the language barrier is a problem though. i still cant find the right department to get a permit LOL

one problem with unguided hunts, is it takes a long time to learn an area and find game.

You need the federation des chasse for the departament you want to hunt in. You can get a tourist type permit I believe if you have a hunting liscense they recognise from another country.

Bow hunting my be an add on to that though as I had to do seperate bow test/permit here.

• Like 2

Ha, we are on the same wavelength mackem!

I am taking a trip somewhere towards the back end of the year,i have a couple of mates in south island NZ and I know a guy on north island,if I wasn't going to try and finish my nppl this year I might have went to NZ as apparently you can just rock-up,and bowhunt large numbers of goats,i just heard a guy from my childhood has terminal cancer,we aren't around forever,lights can go out anytime,carpe diem :victory:

I think you can hunt anything over there with the relevant hunting permit. I might be wrong. Goats seem to be a good starter quarry, especially for bowhunters. I dream of getting into Fiordland for a week chasing Tahr in them alps.

I'm thinking about going over there in 2018 for an adventure, hiring a 4x4 and touring the south west for a couple weeks, staying in hostels and park cabins etc. Taking this new bow is a possibility.

Alas, $6-10k (NZ$) plus travel is a bit steep for my guided Tahr hunt!

Like $4.5k (US) for my US Pronghorn hunt, never mind Dall Sheep at over $15k or $20k for Sheep + Wolf, LOL. The only chance I have of such grand adventures is if I emigrate! HA

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1