Spaniel Or Lab

Look at them and decide which you prefer and go with that!

Rough shooting wise a spaniel is useful as they just love running about in bushes whereas not as many labs will do that for fun.

Spaniels feel the cold a bit more when you are standing around and certainly if water work is included.

Both, with the right training will do the job.

I like cockers so i have a few of them and a lab as a token, my fiance likes labs so she has a few of them and a couple of spaniels to cover all bases.

Dan

if you are a novice and like "quick" results a lab is the dog for you ---if you have some experience with dogs and like to get amongst it i.e beating /rough shooting I would choose a springer -like as been said some labs will do same job as springer but not all - good luck with your choice

• Like 1

if you are a novice and like "quick" results a lab is the dog for you ---if you have some experience with dogs and like to get amongst it i.e beating /rough shooting I would choose a springer -like as been said some labs will do same job as springer but not all - good luck with your choice

some labs , from good working lines , ive seen when beating , would do picking up, peg dog, and used in beating , real good dogs, and not big heavy things either, just fit+agile looking dogs :yes:

As been said by others depends what your into.

Labs were traditionally for working on the grouse moors and the the peg and picking up on pheasant shoots and wildfowlers dogs for the shore , and springer spaniels being beaters dogs and rough shooters dogs. Cocker spaniels being originally for wood cock. Cockers are very fashionable although meant to have lots of springer blood in them !!

But it depends on how you bring them up and what you train them for and how well you train them.

• Like 1

Personally i find it easier to train a spaniel to a level to get it out into the field than a lab. My spaniels are certainly more steady than my labs.

Spaniel training is no harder than labs, just you need to understand what you are aiming for and keep on top of them.

I always remember that as long as the dog doesn't chase everything and will come back when it is called then you can take it out shooting.

• 4 weeks later...