Anyone In The U.s Using Terriers

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have thought by now at least 1 of the 4 serious terriermen from the USA , who posted on this thread would have called me by now!!!!!!!, offer still stands!!!!!!,I let my dogs to the talking !!

I've had the pleasure of a good few weeks out there hunting coon in barns and stick piles. I'm not getting involved in the pissing competition about terriers, the only thing I will say is there is no

Starts January 1st ends December 31st

Posted Images

Neil cooney,mr Johnson , is in his mid 90ies,failing eye site ,sharp n mind , still talking terriers&airdales. Last I heard mr jent is out of the terriers, Tony ravioli is still Tony ravioli

Good to hear Mr Johnson is still with us. I wrote him a few times and he's a very knowledgeable man. I'd love to have spoke to him in person as he told me all about his father being a true frontiers man who handed down his Airedale breeding to Henry Jnr.

Wrote Tim a few times too and still have the American dog magazines from the 70s and 80s that he sent me over at a bit of expense.

Sorry to hear he's out of terriers.

Sorry to hear TR is still in them. The man who once boasted that he drove a Porsche from the profits from terriers, LOL, what a clown.

And last but not least Greg O Donnell (Yankee Boy Greg) one of the most knowledgeable dog men maybe ever. A gentleman who I only spoke to on the phone but was a big loss to the working dog world globally.

Bryan was good mates with him.

• Like 3

I've hunted with terriers in the States on Ground Hog, Skunks, Nutria, Possum, Fox and Coon. Legally and relaxed.

Best dig was in a Beaver den, half a dozen entrances with tunnels as wide as your own chest, took a fair bit of time to get 5 coons backed up into a pocket through tight roots, the pocket was filled almost to the brim with ice cold water and 3 coons bolted out underwater into the pond.

I don't know what's tougher a monkey with a stick or a bulldog or a coon or badger.

But I know I've enjoyed every trip out there with terriers.

Amen to that Bryan :thumbs:

• Like 1

Man o kent, it depends on who is selling it. They can go from 500 to 1000$ to much money. And like i said most dont even hunt. If there lucky they might have done 1 barn hunt just for pics to say there dogs hunt. Lol. We probably have more older woman that hunt and they hunt with jacks then men. I wish i knew folks over here with serious hunting dogs that dont mind putting in the work. Its hard to find good solid workers over here. I had 4 at one time and let them get old never gave it a thought about breeding them.i thought good pats were every were. Not many had them then. Now folks are breeding them to there pits and made them to big to go to ground. Alot of ghetto guys with pits started that to get what they call a pocket pit. To big to go to ground and to small for the pit.a waste of dog. And now im starting over wich really sucks! If the dog dont work out im out a dog and time and money..Americans f**k up alot of breeds wich is sad. If it isnt broke leave it alone. And if you wanna bred and you find the right breeder with the dogs you like you stick with him.

Too small for the pit lol. If only you know

Rippem I'm calling bullshit that your young dog killed a 28lb coon in quick fashion...sick of reading crap on these forums writen by Americans as if they've got wonder dogs that trash coon. Easy to fool men who've never seen a coon worked but you can't fool everyone, I've read a few of your posts and you spout nonsense about terrier work in the USA...sadly terrierwork in the states doesn't have the best of names due to men like you. A coon is no push over and much harder than any fox and far more durable, they will also damage a terrier as much as a big dog fox. Possums are pure rubbish and an insult to terriers, groundhogs are just giant gerbils that you need a 10lb terrier to successfully to dig with. Sorry to go off on one but too many Americans write and hope that everyone belives them.

Patterdales don't kill big coon fast, especially underground, unless a thin blade or 22pellet has been administered first. Just a common boast by guys who don't get called on their bull$#!t.

I have had a good dog or two since 1990,seen tons of the "Greats" on coon and have dug the odd badger or so in the past. Little dogs JUST DON'T kill coon quick..... if at all

• Like 2

Rippem I'm calling bullshit that your young dog killed a 28lb coon in quick fashion...sick of reading crap on these forums writen by Americans as if they've got wonder dogs that trash coon. Easy to fool men who've never seen a coon worked but you can't fool everyone, I've read a few of your posts and you spout nonsense about terrier work in the USA...sadly terrierwork in the states doesn't have the best of names due to men like you. A coon is no push over and much harder than any fox and far more durable, they will also damage a terrier as much as a big dog fox. Possums are pure rubbish and an insult to terriers, groundhogs are just giant gerbils that you need a 10lb terrier to successfully to dig with. Sorry to go off on one but too many Americans write and hope that everyone belives them.

Patterdales don't kill big coon fast, especially underground, unless a thin blade or 22pellet has been administered first. Just a common boast by guys who don't get called on their bull$#!t.

I have had a good dog or two since 1990,seen tons of the "Greats" on coon and have dug the odd badger or so in the past. Little dogs JUST DON'T kill coon quick..... if at all

yes the coons seem to kill themselves easily enough over drugs turf

I don't think anyone said we have better terriers than what you guys have there. That would be a foolish statement as all our terriers came from over there, and some good blood has made its way over here as well. I'm not one to talk or assume things I've never done nor seen, I base mine on facts and the fact is if you guys think coon are junk for your black dogs you are talking about things you obviously don't know about. A coon is a good animal every bit as good as our fox and better imo. I said our fox as I'm not going to say about yours as I've never been there to hunt.

I wasn't saying you thought your dogs were better I thought it was the other way around with people over here saying coon wasn't as good as fox

I have had dogs that had killed several Fox stone dead in the ground that could not kill a coon their own size (although a fox is much more likely to bolt than a coon)

Over the years it became less important to me to have a stone killer no lip terrier than it did to have a good tough locater that would stay until dug to,

but I am an old man now with a crippled arm and I am hard pressed to dig a garden, lol

There ARE some fine young men over from your country that have brought good tough locating dogs, they do exist but you won't find them on the internet for sale. Hats off to them

• Like 3