Decent Afternoon Long Range Shooting

Just got back from an afternoon target shooting at a place local to here.

I took my 308, but knew it wouldn't be much good for proper long range stuff as it's got a S&B 8x56 scope on and not enough elevation adjustment for really long range. We started at 200 yards with my gun to check the zero and 3/3 shots were touching in a triangle. So far so good.

Instead of increasing gradually, we moved straight onto 1100 yards. :icon_eek: We left my gun in the truck and used the club 308 with extra long barrel. The steel targets weren't very big, but got a satisfying "ting" noise from hitting them more often than not, despite a big crosswind.

Next a 300 win mag. Still affected by the wind, but a fair bit less than the 308. I could see the target being hit then seeming ages later, the noise.

Just a couple of goes on the 338 lap mag to finish on the 1100 yards range. They have some kick to them! First time I ever fired one, but I think I did a decent job.

The highlight of the afternoon for me though was on the way back, we stopped at a hill with a 50cm steel target lasered at 465 yards away. A bit (lot) of fiddling with the adjustment on my own 308 and I laid down to shoot. 3/3. :boogy: Then he pointed out that next to that target was a 25cm target. Luckily the instructor was calling the adjustments as the wind changed or gusted and I got 3/4.

Not that I'll ever shoot anything at that distance, but it's nice to know the old 308 will do it if i need it to. :thumbs: