My bitch disappeared after a run today, turned up half an hour or so later holding her foot up. Straight in the car and back home... by the time we got home it had swelled up. She was in the vets within three hours or so, jab and a 7 day course of metacam. Absolutely gutted as it was our first proper day out of the season!

What exactly is going on inside a knocked up toe??? I know it's possible you fractured, is that a better case scenario than ligament damage? Is it likley to be a constant weak spot/re-occurring problem?

Had her out for a quick wee on the leaf tonight and she was putting weight on it ok, not bothered about me touching it etc...

20161015_140404_zps4b058ifk.jpg

Likely damage to the joint, colloquially known as a "Knocked up toe" caused by something like a dislocation/over extension of the joint causing inflammation. This is often followed by bony growth/spurs around the joint leading to permanent osteoarthritic changes. Rest, mobilise the joint as much as possible to maintain range of movement whilst its healing, anti inflammatories such as the metacam, to reduce the inflammation and try to reduce structural changes and time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys so far. She did this Saturday lunch time ish. By Monday morning all the swelling had gone and the foot back to normal.

If this was ligament damage or a fracture do you think the swelling would of gone down so fast or have I maybe got lucky and she's just smacked it on a rock/going through a hedge?

Still just on short lead walks and 15 minutes stood in the river 2 or 3 times a day

Likely damage to the joint, colloquially known as a "Knocked up toe" caused by something like a dislocation/over extension of the joint causing inflammation. This is often followed by bony growth/spurs around the joint leading to permanent osteoarthritic changes. Rest, mobilise the joint as much as possible to maintain range of movement whilst its healing, anti inflammatories such as the metacam, to reduce the inflammation and try to reduce structural changes and time.

thanks, good info :thumbs:

• Like 1

I always ice any foot injuries. Bucket of water, as much Ice as you can get your hands on and hold the foot in for a few mins at a time.

Ask the vet if he/she will let you have a bottle of metacam to keep in the cupboard for future. Will save you forking out for consultation fee etc. They won't all but some will.

Never liked using metacam for a knocked up toe it's not serious enough ya dog should only be leader walked for 3 to 4 weeks to keep toe mobile then only light ground no heavy wet stuff except wet sand on beach that's how I've treated a banged up toe on numerous occasions atb