Sign in to follow this  
Skull Hooker

Advice Re Rimfire Scope

Until recently, my 22 Anschutz had a 8x56 Nikko Sterling on the top, which was accurate, but failed at night when I lost the crosshairs when the background was dark.

So I bought a Nikko Stirling Diamond variable with an illuminated reticule. I zeroed it at 12x which worked fine, but when I backed it off to 8x, it wasn't a case of it moving the point of impact slightly, the shot completely missed the rabbit! I appreciate that variables are known for moving at different mags, but this much cant be right

I've been on the lookout for a fixed power scope 8,9 or 10x with an illuminated reticule, but it appears that fixed power scopes don't generally come with IR. Is there anybody out there who has got a scope of this description to point me in the right direction

Depends how much you want to spend. I have a Docter 8x56 on my 223 and just the very centre of the crosshairs illuminates. I find it great at around dusk to switch it on, but daytime or with the lamp, I prefer it off.

I got mine second hand for a decent price.

You could try a Hawke Sidewinder TAC 30mm Tube... I've got a 4.5-14x42 Side Focus, but you'll pick one up for around £180-£200 in the higher mags option too if you need more mag... Excellent illuminated reticle, and works great with a lamp... Also one of the good ones for putting an NV add-on onto it if you decide to go down that route!!

And just a thought... I've got a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire BDC 4-12x40 new with receipt purchased about 2 months ago - I had it on my gun for about 2 weeks then took it off to put a Photon XT on it for night time bunny bashing, so if you're interested in that, let me know... I got it shipped in via Brownells to my local RFD, because the 3-9x40 model is easily available in the UK, but not so many 4-12x40 seem to be available!! You'll find plenty of reviews on them on the interweb!! :thumbs: