Question About Germany Points

I read that in Germany the short hair and wire haired pointers were bred to be both bird and game dogs I was wondering if anyone still uses them on game I know here in the u.s they have become pretty much bird dogs if anyone uses them on game I was wondering how they work when they are running game do they point like they do birds or track and run games kind of like hounds and I am really interested if anyone still uses them for fox which from what I have read was one of the game animals they were bred for form the beginning thanks for the help p

I know a guy in NH that shoots hares over his wirehaired pointer. Not sure how it all plays out, and if the dog points them, but it does track wounded hares, and will retrieve a hare. I saw a fantastic video on YouTube some years ago about hunting dogs, tests and trials in Germany. Forgot the name, but you may find it interesting if you find it.

Yeah I have heard of them being used to track wounded game before but I think form what I have read finding wounded game and tracking game to the catch or pushing it to the gun is a different story I met two guys on different forums here in the u.s that used their dogs on fur one had a G.S.P that he worked with for bird hunting and the dog picked up running fur by himself he would run fox if he happed to come up on one and wood catch it or dive it to the ground where the boy could set a trap for it then the boy told me it just got out with his coon dog and straight going offer coon at night and most of the time catching them also he said that the nights they were hunting coon that his dog would catch and kill beaver muskrat and mink that he found out on land or would found their den's in the day time then I meet another guy that breed a strain of G.W.P that he regale hunted coon fox bobcat and coyote with the dogs being no more than two catch them most of the time and the rest of the time they would drive the game where the guy could get a shot at them now I have no reason to doubt this guy's but I am wondering if they just got a few that had the old school blood of the all around dog or is it still pretty common to see them working birds and game both

There are people who still use gwp and drahths on both fur and feather in the states, but it's nowhere near as common as the guys who just use them on feather. For the simple fact that their are better dogs for hunting fur game. I know a few guys they use them on coyotes and pigs. The Drahthaars especially.

I personally don't want my gwp running fur I've got terriers for that he's simply got to point upland birds and retrieve waterfowl. I don't encourage him catching anything else.

I read that in Germany the short hair and wire haired pointers were bred to be both bird and game dogs I was wondering if anyone still uses them on game I know here in the u.s they have become pretty much bird dogs if anyone uses them on game I was wondering how they work when they are running game do they point like they do birds or track and run games kind of like hounds and I am really interested if anyone still uses them for fox which from what I have read was one of the game animals they were bred for form the beginning thanks for the help p

I thought we had gone over all of this before. They are versatile dogs and can do whatever you introduce them to. AS for a breed being better on one thing or another this may be true though I'm sure any DD is a match for a terrier on things that bite back. :laugh:

http://www.vdd-gna.org/

Here is their website. If you ask them they can answer your questions and you can see one at work.

ATB

Sorry man I had forgotten I got sidetracked with another breed I thought might pan out but did not I was trying to understand with the people that use them on fur that if they point like they do on birds or track some what like a hound also if they have the speed to buy or catch I have heard both ways

They have the speed and strength to catch. There's a saying, "There's only two types of dogs; wolves and wirehaireds."

They're very capable versatile dogs, I just personally don't require that out of my bird dogs. Someone could argue why don't I just shoot over an English Pointer or Setter in that case but I like my wirehaireds.

Edited by Naustroms

I know that it seems like most would rather keep them as start bird dog just in my spot I am thinking i would be willing to trade some of the tracking that a pure blood hound would have for a dog that would be good as a all-round dog that will find a flock of Turkey and bust them up one weekend then the next blood track a big deer or elk or Bear then go out running fox or coyote or shed hunting when ever thing else is over I have found that it looks like they can track and run so that is part of what I was trying to find now the only part is with the fox and coyote would you train them like you would a hound or do they need anything different

kyboy, in the states, DD's are used for most things. Mine knew when to point and when to grab. Other DD owners use them for hogs, and they are very good at baying both on the ground and treed. Literally anything you throw at them they'll figure out and do. If it's what you think you want be sure you get a true Drahthaar and take the plunge. I'm sure you'll be happy with one as long as you don't require an off switch. :laugh:

ATB

That is what I am thinking the more I learn about them if any of you have them can they be outside dogs or do they have to be a house dog were they can be around people all the time

Mine lives out. I think they can live in but they can be more active in the house then people like.

Edited by Mickey Finn

Cool I have been trying to find out all I can the only thing I have left to figure out is if they can work fur tracks on dry ground in heavy cover I have had a few hounds guy say that in a spot like that but I was thinking the D.D are different from hounds