Another Red Stag yesterday

Back out after Reds yesterday morning. There was rain and sleet blowing horizontally so I didn't have too high hopes. Spotted this Stag with a few hinds, initially couldn't make out his head properly, only getting light. Thought he had a good head and was going to leave him and take a hind. Got a clear look at the head and reckoned he was a good one to cull. Took him at about 180yrds, turned and took a few strides before going down. Hinds legged it and two nice younger stags with what looked like good heads ran from other side of valley, swam the stream which was whitewater after the wild night and followed the hinds. B#stard of a job getting this one out, a lot heavier than the stag of two weeks ago. :icon_eek:

Farmer delighted when he saw the size of him.

post-10425-1197193054.jpg

Hi moletrapper,

I'll be hanging on to the head alright. Had to joint him up on hill and backpack him out in a few trips. A lot heavier than the one I shot in same spot two weeks ago, see other thread. The rifle is a Sako Finnlite in 6.5x55swedish, photo not great cos it was driving rain and hail straight at me, some wind! Will get another pic up here later.

Spud

Nice 1 spud & its harder not to pull the trigger on these reds.Reds are good fun if you have the equipment for extraction but nightmare if not.Thats 1 funny but cracking head on him & the hinds would be easyer for you shoot them they taste better than a run stag.

post-10425-1197240693.jpg

Cheers lads,

Was planning on taking a nice tasty young hind alright VMax but when i saw the head on this fella i had to take him out of the gene pool. Here's a shot of the head from last stalk beside the latest one plus another phot from the hill yesterday.

post-10425-1197240402.jpg

Cheers Frank, well pleased with the 6.5 alright, might get it threaded and a mod for next season though! Yes Vmax he was missing a brow tine and a tay tine. Had a small wound to his head as well, must have been a rough rut this season!

Edited by spudlington