4X4 That Pull 3.5 Ton There Nae Many

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a open top V8 Land Rover 90 for sale soon.   It will tow anything, but you do need to live near an oil refinery....

no pal they stopped making them due to the new emission laws, they were the best four wheel drives you could buy imo, I've had loads

I use a land cruiser , best tow car ive had so far ( had most 4x4s ) . As regards Hilux a firm called Cheshire contracting can replate them to tow 3.5 tons .

I can see there been a niche for those yanky tanks, not sure about a living though, I mean, in the uk it don't matter a feck what it can tow, you can't go over 7.5 ton with out upping your licence surely ! My truck 'could' tow 5ton, but I couldn't do that on a car licence, so all they have really done is make the vehicle legal to do it, not the driver, and let's be honest, at some of the mpg figures I have seen quoted, I would think a lorry is going to work out cheaper anyway !

yes but........how about if it was registered as an agricultured vehicle (like a tractor) would that work? could be a loophole there....

you can drive a tractor of about 8 ton with a trailer of 10-14 full of corn...or bails of hay, making your load 30 ton+...on a car licence, you can tow a 13 ton 360 digger the same way....

Technically you can't, you can drive a tractor on a car licence, in fact you can drive them on a bike licence or provisional licence, but legally you are supposed to take a tractor test to tow anything, wonder how many farmers actually know that when they employ harvest students ? I grew up on a farm, and at 16 the old man made me take my tractor test so I could do corn cart, having been doing it for 4 years seemed a bit pointless to me at the time.

You are also restricted on mileage, I think it was an 8 mile round trip if I remember correctly, or you had to run on white diesel.

Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon .....4.2 , straight 6 diesel ...will piss it ....no ifs or buts it has the engine and box and gearing to do the job ..don't believe me , try and buy one cheap twenty year old ones with low mileage ( 100,000) will still cost £8000 .

• Like 1

Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon .....4.2 , straight 6 diesel ...will piss it ....no ifs or buts it has the engine and box and gearing to do the job ..don't believe me , try and buy one cheap twenty year old ones with low mileage ( 100,000) will still cost £8000 .

Must admit they were bloody good motors, and yeah they still fetch big money

Technically you can't, you can drive a tractor on a car licence, in fact you can drive them on a bike licence or provisional licence, but legally you are supposed to take a tractor test to tow anything, wonder how many farmers actually know that when they employ harvest students ? I grew up on a farm, and at 16 the old man made me take my tractor test so I could do corn cart, having been doing it for 4 years seemed a bit pointless to me at the time.

You are also restricted on mileage, I think it was an 8 mile round trip if I remember correctly, or you had to run on white diesel.

Driving a tractor with a trailer over 750kgs is illegal unless you've passed a trailer test (or passed a test before 1997) but its one of them laws thats not really enforced

I can see there been a niche for those yanky tanks, not sure about a living though, I mean, in the uk it don't matter a feck what it can tow, you can't go over 7.5 ton with out upping your licence surely ! My truck 'could' tow 5ton, but I couldn't do that on a car licence, so all they have really done is make the vehicle legal to do it, not the driver, and let's be honest, at some of the mpg figures I have seen quoted, I would think a lorry is going to work out cheaper anyway !

yes but........how about if it was registered as an agricultured vehicle (like a tractor) would that work? could be a loophole there....

you can drive a tractor of about 8 ton with a trailer of 10-14 full of corn...or bails of hay, making your load 30 ton+...on a car licence, you can tow a 13 ton 360 digger the same way....

. I have an agricultural registered Landy, it's not allowed on the motorway and can't travel more than 25 miles a day on the road, so not much good for haulage, the guy in Weston charges around a tenner a mile, so even if it only does 10mpg it's earned a oner and cost a tenner every ten miles, think I could live with that

. I have an agricultural registered Landy, it's not allowed on the motorway and can't travel more than 25 miles a day on the road, so not much good for haulage, the guy in Weston charges around a tenner a mile, so even if it only does 10mpg it's earned a oner and cost a tenner every ten miles, think I could live with that

it's a bit silly of the authorities not letting you take it on the motorway....as you could drive on the motorway before you had it registered agricultured...the 25 miles a day on the road, that's probably because of the red diesel, there thinking you are on the make from the cheaper price....what about if you was to run on white? would that still apply?......

it's a bit silly of the authorities not letting you take it on the motorway....as you could drive on the motorway before you had it registered agricultured...the 25 miles a day on the road, that's probably because of the red diesel, there thinking you are on the make from the cheaper price....what about if you was to run on white? would that still apply?......

Why ain't you allowed on the motorway with it ? JCB fastracs are allowed on the motorway

your right there bud....my dads got one 4.2td vx....he's had it now for about 20 years, it's only done 120,000, it's been a brilliant motor, strong and reliable, in a motoring magazine a while back....the land cruiser was voted, one of the worlds best ever made vehicle.....

• Like 1

your right there bud....my dads got one 4.2td vx....he's had it now for about 20 years, it's only done 120,000, it's been a brilliant motor, strong and reliable, in a motoring magazine a while back....the land cruiser was voted, one of the worlds best ever made vehicle.....

Same as my brothers one , manual gearbox , 3 diff locks , think it's the 90 ..he's has done 260k , including two Maroc challenges . It's used on a daily basis towing and serious of road driving were he lives in Spain ..They are bomb proof .

• Like 1

Driving a tractor with a trailer over 750kgs is illegal unless you've passed a trailer test (or passed a test before 1997) but its one of them laws thats not really enforced

yeah....same with driving a motorhome, it's a grey area,(as they say) i had my licence before 97, i use to drive my 38ft 10 ton motorhome with a 12ft trailer on it, over all length was about 54ft...it was a glass 5 mot, same as a car, so nothing anyone could do about it.....

Same as my brothers one , manual gearbox , 3 diff locks , think it's the 90 ..he's has done 260k , including two Maroc challenges . It's used on a daily basis towing and serious of road driving were he lives in Spain ..They are bomb proof .

:thumbs:

as soon as you got agri registration you use redvdiesel,if its s business other than agri you must use white and fully register vehicles ie tax,mot etc.that why all these tax cheats are running groundwork businesses on agri and running digger s etc,agregates,muck way with fastracs n trailers.