4X4 That Pull 3.5 Ton There Nae Many

if your looking at new trucks then your choices are going to get narrower as time goes on unless you go down the taco route, all the designers now have it in their heads to make things bigger every time they do an upgrade but that makes them heavier so the load and towing capacity goes down

only need taco if hire or reward as I use 7.5 ton horse box no need for taco also u can use a log book if u wish instead of taco. But your right newer truck types only about two . So looks like I will be going down ford route .
Don't dismiss the Isuzu, the are bloody good trucks and not quite as pumped up on steroid as the Rangers.
Isuzu are well build but just seem to lack power of ranger think towing it would be sluggish so think it ford for me too
That's why I swerved the smaller engined ranger, my mate does digger demonstrations and said it was underpowered and not to touch it, bite the bullet and get the 3.2 so I did.....it certainly ain't underpowered. One of my fav games is watching folk behind at roundabouts think "don't wanna get stuck behind that" and try and take the outside lane to go straight on, I bury the pedal and leave them behind, the truck fair takes off and that's with a plant trailer and digger or dumper on.

Not tested the Isuzu yet, but I will, the salesman said I can have one for a day or two, for towing, do a few hundred miles so long as I put it on my insurance cos of the towing thing?

Isuzu, Although they are much smaller engine, they are twin turbo, think it's called a smart turbo or something, so no big turbo and lots of lag, small one and a big one, between them they are supposed to be pretty well up there, don't know the figures for them, but I doubt it can touch the ford engine if I am honest,

Ps, I was told not to touch the auto box in the ranger for towing as they are much weaker than the manual, my mate....yes the digger demo man.......has had 3 boxes in his in two years, he tows all round the children hills though, I just prefer manual, and it's done me well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a open top V8 Land Rover 90 for sale soon.   It will tow anything, but you do need to live near an oil refinery....

no pal they stopped making them due to the new emission laws, they were the best four wheel drives you could buy imo, I've had loads

I use a land cruiser , best tow car ive had so far ( had most 4x4s ) . As regards Hilux a firm called Cheshire contracting can replate them to tow 3.5 tons .

if your looking at new trucks then your choices are going to get narrower as time goes on unless you go down the taco route, all the designers now have it in their heads to make things bigger every time they do an upgrade but that makes them heavier so the load and towing capacity goes down

only need taco if hire or reward as I use 7.5 ton horse box no need for taco also u can use a log book if u wish instead of taco. But your right newer truck types only about two . So looks like I will be going down ford route .
Don't dismiss the Isuzu, the are bloody good trucks and not quite as pumped up on steroid as the Rangers.
Isuzu are well build but just seem to lack power of ranger think towing it would be sluggish so think it ford for me too

I've got an Isuzu blade 2.5 twin turbo and believe me it has plenty of power and pulls like a train .........

I've got an Isuzu blade 2.5 twin turbo and believe me it has plenty of power and pulls like a train .........

That's what I had been told socks, not tested it yet but I will soon.

the Toyota Land cruiser 4.2td aren't bad towers.....my dad has had one for years now, it's a very strong motor, also, have you ever considered a Dodge Ram truck.....the dually 3500 diesel can tow up to 14 tons, the 3500 diesel can tow 7-8 tons, 2500 diesel 5-6 tons and the 1500 petrol can tow 3.5 tons.....

they are for sale in the uk....

That's why I swerved the smaller engined ranger, my mate does digger demonstrations and said it was underpowered and not to touch it, bite the bullet and get the 3.2 so I did.....it certainly ain't underpowered. One of my fav games is watching folk behind at roundabouts think "don't wanna get stuck behind that" and try and take the outside lane to go straight on, I bury the pedal and leave them behind, the truck fair takes off and that's with a plant trailer and digger or dumper on.

Not tested the Isuzu yet, but I will, the salesman said I can have one for a day or two, for towing, do a few hundred miles so long as I put it on my insurance cos of the towing thing?

Isuzu, Although they are much smaller engine, they are twin turbo, think it's called a smart turbo or something, so no big turbo and lots of lag, small one and a big one, between them they are supposed to be pretty well up there, don't know the figures for them, but I doubt it can touch the ford engine if I am honest,

Ps, I was told not to touch the auto box in the ranger for towing as they are much weaker than the manual, my mate....yes the digger demo man.......has had 3 boxes in his in two years, he tows all round the children hills though, I just prefer manual, and it's done me well.

thanks was 3.2 I was going for and hate auto so had to be manual box . do you know if u can get ivor willams cannopys to fit the load bed ? Edited by scottish lurcher

one big advantage of the Isuzu to me is down to it not following the fashion and sticking to a drum brake on the rear, not checked if it still has a rear LSD but should think it has, the new stuff with discs all round tend to use the ABS pump and sensors for traction control, makes them heavy on rear brakes (seen a discovery kill off a set of rear discs and pads in under 3k miles, f**k that)

• Like 1

one big advantage of the Isuzu to me is down to it not following the fashion and sticking to a drum brake on the rear, not checked if it still has a rear LSD but should think it has, the new stuff with discs all round tend to use the ABS pump and sensors for traction control, makes them heavy on rear brakes (seen a discovery kill off a set of rear discs and pads in under 3k miles, f**k that)

I just had a service check up (free) at 35k and my pads are not even half way worn yet

If any motor done discs and pads in 3k I would be looking for them to replace FOC

thanks was 3.2 I was going for and hate auto so had to be manual box . do you know if u can get ivor willams cannopys to fit the load bed ?

By Ivor williams, I instantly think the ally ones with mesh tailgate ? If so I don't think you can, am guessing you could have one made to fit.

Check out a company called auto styling, they are in Birmingham and do all manner of tops for them and have a good range to look at for ideas.

thanks was 3.2 I was going for and hate auto so had to be manual box . do you know if u can get ivor willams cannopys to fit the load bed ?
By Ivor williams, I instantly think the ally ones with mesh tailgate ? If so I don't think you can, am guessing you could have one made to fit.

Check out a company called auto styling, they are in Birmingham and do all manner of tops for them and have a good range to look at for ideas.

yeah the metal ones I will need to get measurements and find out also I don't want the alloys lol as be work truck . Don't like how ford pimp it up wheels look crap Edited by scottish lurcher

yeah the metal ones I will need to get measurements and find out also I don't want the alloys lol as be work truck . Don't like how ford pimp it up wheels look crap

I agree, it is a bit pimped up, too much bling for my liking, I considered powder coating some of the chrome bits, having said that, I will buy your alloys as a spare set.