Deer Stalking Tips

Hi guys.

I am very bored at work, looking out window waiting to get into the woods.

Anyway, I have a decent permission with roes and reds( reds less often) and was wondering if anyone has any tips on stalking deer?

I have shot a couple from there last year.

Accuracy is not an issue, I know my rifle and its limitations. It is just an old CZ .243 ( not screwcut-yet)

Butchering is not an issue either as i used to supervise a slaughterhouse and hunted since i was a kid.

My problem would be the actual stalk. If i see one then i can get to it, but i am struggling calling them in, or even being where they are.

The land is 2 sections of woodland about 40 Acre with a field inbetween both woods and vast woodland opposite it which i do not have permission on but the deer seem to come down from the woods opposite and then into my woods.

any advice would be much appreciated as i dont think you can ever know enough.

Thanks

Mark

To give you good idea have a good look about for physical evidence of their presence. Seeing the deer themselves is always a help but getting to know their habits and preferences (feeding, sheltering, couching etc) will only really come with time spent on the ground.

Look for browse lines, slots / runs, fraying posts, wallows etc will give you a good place to start. Getting a high seat up overlooking an area with the most traffic and forcing yourself to stay put will test your patience but hopefully pay dividends.

• Like 2

To give you good idea have a good look about for physical evidence of their presence. Seeing the deer themselves is always a help but getting to know their habits and preferences (feeding, sheltering, couching etc) will only really come with time spent on the ground.

Look for browse lines, slots / runs, fraying posts, wallows etc will give you a good place to start. Getting a high seat up overlooking an area with the most traffic and forcing yourself to stay put will test your patience but hopefully pay dividends.

thank you for your reply.

Wise words from Matt .You need to put the time in mate as there's no substitute for experience although DSC holders will say different lol.A high seat is the most productive place to WATCH deer even from a distance and the initial outlay will be recouped in no time ,even if no deer are shot .This time of year with the red rut ,the noise will tell you where they are first light ,whether or not they are on your bit or over the boundary .They maybe using your patch at a certain time of day or passing through .Don't be too keen to shoot too many until you've patterened their comings and goings as it will change from the disturbance .Better to be there when that big boy arrives than shoot a spiker and spook the rest .

• Like 2

Wise words from Matt .You need to put the time in mate as there's no substitute for experience although DSC holders will say different lol.A high seat is the most productive place to WATCH deer even from a distance and the initial outlay will be recouped in no time ,even if no deer are shot .This time of year with the red rut ,the noise will tell you where they are first light ,whether or not they are on your bit or over the boundary .They maybe using your patch at a certain time of day or passing through .Don't be too keen to shoot too many until you've patterened their comings and goings as it will change from the disturbance .Better to be there when that big boy arrives than shoot a spiker and spook the rest .

thank you.

I dont want to shoot many at all. the last of the roe i had in the freezer is now eaten, so after another to do for a while.

I think they have moved on as i was seeing alot of activity but now nothing. there have been reports of poaching in the area though.

I have got a nordik roe caller, but have never really got on with callers. the only success was calling in a fox with a squirrel call when after squirrels..

As far as I'm aware roe will only respond to the call just before ,during and a bit after the rut which down here is late July ,early August .The red roar should be well under way providing you have a bit of cold weather with you ,not freezing just a nip in the air mornings .If the reds went there its because the hinds have moved to their winter grounds and the stags have followed .Keep us posted mate .

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware roe will only respond to the call just before ,during and a bit after the rut which down here is late July ,early August .The red roar should be well under way providing you have a bit of cold weather with you ,not freezing just a nip in the air mornings .If the reds went there its because the hinds have moved to their winter grounds and the stags have followed .Keep us posted mate .

its getting a bit nippy round here now.

I am told the reds dont come this far down until nearer xmas. will keep my eyes open for em.

Hi mate.

I totally agree with the other advices. Patience, meticulous observations of the area and some bit of patience again!

I use the central hours of the day to search for deer tracks or other evidence. While doing so keep quiet, try to use the same clothes every time, don't smoke or pee or spit on the area (obviously :) ), and, I don't know if this is legal in the UK, place a couple of salt blocks to attract them. As for nordik roe or buttolo calls, my experience is that they are effective during the summer rut as they have also advice you. Using them in other seasons makes them learn and become wary.

After you are possitive that they are around comes the time to do "false stalkings" in order to study which animals visit the area and at what time of the day (you can save time by using trail cams but you'll learn a lot more the other way!).

Once you're sure about the animal you want to stalk come the stalking skills but since my hunting areas are surely very different from yours I'm sure you'll get a much better advice from others.

This is what I do when I have to stalk in places I'm not familiar with.

I hope it helps!

Good luck!

• Like 1