Sign in to follow this  
max_wood

Who Keeps Quail??

One of mine has hatched with a severe crossed beak, do you usually cull cross beaked birds or see if they can feed?

Chicks hatched over the weekend. Fantastic hatch rate and fertility from a seller on ebay.really pleased and couldn't recommend the seller enough. I've ended up with around 240 chicks from 300 eggs

Sent you a pm max but don't think you've seen it, what ebayer did you use? I'm wanting a few more eggs from a different breeder.

Not to worry then, I thought you might have been wigan with that username that's all.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Chinese painted quail in my aviary and the hen bird has decided to go broody and is sitting tight on four eggs.

Really chuffed with her any one else had any luck with them going broody.

I have a pair of Chinese painted quail in my aviary and the hen bird has decided to go broody and is sitting tight on four eggs.

Folk will tell you they wont breed but they will.

Make sure they have soft soaked food from the start and if your wire mesh goes to the floor you might want to stop them getting out through it as they'll fit through 1/2 " mesh.

• Like 1

Not sure about CPQ but Coturnix apparently very rarely go broody.

Because of generations of being hatched in incubators some species of birds have nearly lost all mothering instinct.

A big pity IMO and if I was serious about a certain species I'd definitely be trying for natural hatching.

Gamefowl are going down the same route. Years ago gamekeepers appreciated the mothering instinct of the game hen but now most game fowl are hatched out artificially.

Personally I breed mine as nature intended.

The Gouldian finch is another example. Fanciers use Bengalese hens to hatch and rear their Gouldians.

• Like 2

When it comes to gamefowl I used incubator for one hatch and had hatch of a broody , I'd go for broody every time now . Get a good silkie cross and get them hatched out natural

• Like 1