Sign in to follow this  
max_wood

Who Keeps Quail??

I kept them years ago,just filled my incubators up with them again.just for a bit of fun but for a bit of a project for my kids to earn a bit of pocket money selling eggs. Anyone keep them and what's the going rate for a dozen eggs?

I thought so ,and the amount of food I was putting in there , and storing all the different food ,I couldn't be arsed In end.

I was feeding millet ,Canary seed,crushed up layers ,fresh food,grit . Eggs were lovely though.

• Like 1

Same as, I just got shot of my last lot, bloody things, attacking each other for the slightest reason, then attacking each other if they didn't have a reason, got fed up with it, I sold a few eggs, didn't find a great deal of interest in them round here, had one woman who loved them, used to struggle to get £2 a dozen,

• Like 1

I work with a lad who's wife keeps a few quail. As others say, they like to scrap and once they start you have to split them up. All the cock birds come to me at eight weeks old for a little holiday... and go home looking like this, lol !

post-103631-0-32693300-1476141605_thumb.jpg

Edited to add: These were Japanese quail, I've also done some Jumbo quail for him which are about half as big again, but I've managed to wipe the picture off the laptop :doh: . The egg was a bog standard supermarket egg to show scale.

Edited by Stockpot
  • Like 2

I had 50 in a stable and they where no bother at all.easiest things I've ever looked after.which is why I've got them for the kids to do.and the other reason is they're up and laying in 2 months so its not so long for kids to wait compared to bantams ect. So will have to see what happens. They will soon be laying on a plate if they're a nightmare...

• Like 1