Nip Drowned

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Headed out with a mate to the geese this morning with Nip and my mates lab Rowen ....we could hear plenty of ducks and geese in the darkness ....got the duck deeks set out in the water and got ourselv

I hear what you are saying Timmy but if it happened 100 times again I would do the exact same thing ...there is no as I could watch the dog dyeing in front of me without trying to safe him and like I

Morning lads ...the wee dog is looking a lot brighter this morning ...I jabbed him yesterday and he's on a course of anti biopics .... he spent most of the day curled up at the fire I took him out wit

Mik, well done for not giving up, I have watched your vids etc with great interest and have only just seen this after getting in from a long day, good luck with the dog and hope the news is all good, I'm sure some good grub and a bit of time being spoilt in the house will help, WM

Morning lads ...the wee dog is looking a lot brighter this morning ...I jabbed him yesterday and he's on a course of anti biopics .... he spent most of the day curled up at the fire I took him out with the rest of the dogs in the afternoon and he had a walk about when I fed my pheasants .

Looking back at yesterday it could of been an error of my judgement ...he has done many retrieves from the water in worse conditions .

There were a few factors ,the tide and wind was against him ...the goose was still alive and was swimming further out he also had a belly full of food as he had been eating a roe head in the garden before he went in the truck ....he had swallowed a lot of water cause when we got him back he was like a balloon and his belly was full of water .

Socks mentioned the neoprene jackets ...I have used them In the past and they can hinder the dog as the front chest plate the water goes over the top and causes a drag they are more for keeping the dog warm when it's wet & Dilly it was a bit of an exaggeration ".......it was more 75 yards than 80 ...lol

As for diving in to save him I can guarentee yous would all do the same you do what you have to do ...looking back it was pure luck I got him as he was about 4 ft under the water and just felt him brush past my knee ....I will admit at one point I was really struggling to swim back and you can hear the panic in my mates voice when he is shouting encouragement to me but the adrenalin just keeps you going .

Hopefully he makes a full recovery and I will do everything I can to assure that there is a big improvement from yesterday and he is sitting on the living room window sill watching a pair of young collard doves in my garden .

Thanks again lads for the concerns and will keep you posted on how he is getting on

Edited by MIK
  • Like 11

I can't swim so I am afraid mine would be on his own much as I think a lot of him.

Our local estuary when the water is going out on a big tide it cuts like a river bank away and the huge volume of water flying by I often think if the dog went in he would be out to sea before I new it. Unless he could drift out of the flow.

Glad his on the mend :thumbs:

• Like 1

Morning lads ...the wee dog is looking a lot brighter this morning ...I jabbed him yesterday and he's on a course of anti biopics .... he spent most of the day curled up at the fire I took him out with the rest of the dogs in the afternoon and he had a walk about when I fed my pheasants .

Looking back at yesterday it could of been an error of my judgement ...he has done many retrieves from the water in worse conditions .

There were a few factors ,the tide and wind was against him ...the goose was still alive and was swimming further out he also had a belly full of food as he had been eating a roe head in the garden before he went in the truck ....he had swallowed a lot of water cause when we got him back he was like a balloon and his belly was full of water .

Socks mentioned the neoprene jackets ...I have used them In the past and they can hinder the dog as the front chest plate the water goes over the top and causes a drag they are more for keeping the dog warm when it's wet & Dilly it was a bit of an exaggeration ".......it was more 75 yards than 80 .

As for diving in to save him I can guarentee yous would all do the same you do what you have to do ...looking back it was pure luck I got him as he was about 4 ft under the water and just felt him brush past my knee ....I will admit at one point I was really struggling to swim back and you can hear the panic in my mates voice when he is shouting encouragement to me but the adrenalin just keeps you going .

Hopefully he makes a full recovery and I will do everything I can to assure that there is a big improvement from yesterday and he is sitting on the living room window sill watching a pair of young collard doves in my garden .

Thanks again lads for the concerns and will keep you posted on how he is getting on

great hope he keeps improving :thumbs:

I can't swim so I am afraid mine would be on his own much as I think a lot of him.

Our local estuary when the water is going out on a big tide it cuts like a river bank away and the huge volume of water flying by I often think if the dog went in he would be out to sea before I new it. Unless he could drift out of the flow.

Glad his on the mend :thumbs:

you never to old to learn mate, get down to a local swimming baths , it always good thing to know how to swim. not saying you got to go out to the sea like mik did , but any canal,or small pool it would come in handy if anything happened , and that dog of your is bit full on. it never going to happen to me as my 2 wimps dont like water they only go up to there chests lol

Can I just add this for anybody reading this thinking they'd do the same, I'm sure mik knew the area well but things could of gone so wrong, I've done it once for my daughter and it was scary but for a dog- no chance, it's not worth it fellas, miks lad may of been gutted if he lost the dog but I bet he and the rest of his family and friends would of been devastated if mik had lost his life. We put our dogs in danger wether they be terriers, lurchers, gun dogs or sheep dogs and that is why we should treat them like kings but to put your life in danger is a big no no. Dogs can be replaced a family member can't and as harsh as that may seem it's the truth. Again mik I'm happy you and the dog are alright but please don't be a hero again.

• Like 3