What Boots To Get ?

Hanwag.

I know a few who've got them so I got them last spring, been the most comfortable boots I've had, and I've had Lowa, Meindl etc.

Had a problem with the soles on mine after 15 months wearing them, I do around 90 minutes walking a day, every day in them, the midsole crumbled, rang Bushcraft, they got them sorted with Hanwag and I had them resoled within 4 days.

The uppers are definitely the best leather I've seen, some of the Meindl boots look like they are made out of plastic these days, they used to be good, but now they are made in Hungary or some other equally shit place.

Just saying ... :laugh:

• Like 3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These 2 were the kit back in the day.with a double crust jam sandwich in the jacket pocket.

If your digging then ebay for grade 1 hiax boots-35 notes.for that money I don't mind if I only get a season from them.tried most nothing lasts-stay away from harkila over priced and total wank imo.at

Tried most of the expensive ones Le chameau,lowa,meindle and now on my second pair of Altberg Defenders. £85 off eBay Comfy dry and take plenty of stick.

Posted Images

Hanwag.

I know a few who've got them so I got them last spring, been the most comfortable boots I've had, and I've had Lowa, Meindl etc.

Had a problem with the soles on mine after 15 months wearing them, I do around 90 minutes walking a day, every day in them, the midsole crumbled, rang Bushcraft, they got them sorted with Hanwag and I had them resoled within 4 days.

The uppers are definitely the best leather I've seen, some of the Meindl boots look like they are made out of plastic these days, they used to be good, but now they are made in Hungary or some other equally shit place.

is the sole any good on you're new ones? Is it a common fault or were you unlucky do yo think
  • Like 1

The problem with the Meindl Dovres and the Lowa Extremes is theyre made for walking comfort and have a spongy type material in between the sole and the boot and any type of digging soon damages the sponge and is very difficult to replace. Id be looking at Glockners or Hanwags if you're doing any digging. Also footplates on the roundmouths make a world of difference.

• Like 4

Hanwag.

is the sole any good on you're new ones? Is it a common fault or were you unlucky do yo think

I'm told, and it could of course be bollocks ... That the midsole part will degrade over time, normally slower than the outer sole wears so there is never a problem, the midsole is replaced when the outer sole is, they come as a unit, in the case of my boots they may have been old stock and the midsole degraded quicker than the outer sole ... Time will tell if that is nonsense.

The new sole looks fine so far after a good few months wear, I'm heavy on boots in a different way to digging lads, I walk, quite a lot in mine on roads and that is hard on them.

I took Daniel cains advise ordered grade 1 hiax boots £37 I think with postage came two days later, they look in good nik and if they last a year or two I'll be very happy. I ordered size 9 and their a bit big, but nothing another pair of socks won't sort out.

Edited by timmy k
  • Like 4

I took Daniel cains advise ordered grade 1 hiax boots £37 I think with postage came two days later, they look in good nik and if they last a year or two I'll be very happy. I ordered size 9 and their a bit big, but nothing another pair of socks won't sort out.

Cant go wrong at that price.

I bought some grade 1 altberg defenders for £36.

Bargain.

The problem with the Meindl Dovres and the Lowa Extremes is theyre made for walking comfort and have a spongy type material in between the sole and the boot and any type of digging soon damages the sponge and is very difficult to replace. Id be looking at Glockners or Hanwags if you're doing any digging. Also footplates on the roundmouths make a world of difference.

Spot on RH... If you wanna smash down on a banjo week in week out then make damn sure the sole can take it. All them 'they feel like trainers' shite wont last the season. Out of the most used makes, i'd go for the Glockner every time.