What gun are you looking to use it on?

Personally the Armasight Drone and Ward 800 are the best of the bunch at the minute, but thats my own personal view.

The LRF870 is a good scope and the rangefinder is excellent, but it lacks optical magnification which makes all the difference when shooting at range low optical mag reduces image quality, digital mag makes the image bigger but the picture becomes pixelated.

If your set on an LRF 870 regardless let me know, I can get you a good price on one.

I currently use the ward D700 but it has broken on me and I have messaged them as its still in warranty and haven't got any response so I have lost some faith in them. So after a look on the market i saw the LRF N970 the new model and it has taken my interest. I will be using it around 120yards so not any great distance.

I like using the pulsar on the rimfires out to 150 yards as the clarity at that range is usable and the rangefinder on the pulsar plus the option of having 3 preset zeroes means it swaps from .22 to .17 easily.

The buttons on it and the whole configuration is not well thought out though and finding the buttons in the dark etc is a pain.

Why they put the rangefinder buttons and focus etc on the right hand side is baffling me.

The drone is far far better picture clarity and image quality.

If it was going on a .22 or id go pulsar with range finder every time.

The hmr is debatable as you pretty much aim on out to 150 so the rangefinder becomes less necessary.

On a centerfire I'd 100% opt for the drone as the images at 150 yards onwards put the pulsar to shame.

I use the pulsar n870 lrf and I find it fantastic out to 125-150 yards, I use a t20 on it as well and I can't really fault the picture, I regularly knock rabbits at those distances with it. Further out its good enough to spot, but I don't really push the shots much further than that.

The range finder is superb, I have checked and double checked it against some top range finders, budget range finders, and most in between, I have even paced it out, it's bang on every time.

Never looked through a drone but would be interested to see how they compare.

The quote about the buttons seems odd, I find them fine, and much much easier and better thought out than the previous models.

Where in Essex are you mate, your more than welcome to have a play with mine one evening ?

Thanks chaps for the input I am interested in the drone but without a intergrated LRF I am leaning to the pulsar. Unless anyone knows of a drone with a LFR intergrated into it. Nick

I have seen an add on day and Nv range finder that goes onto a rail......think it was about £120

What are you fitting it on, do you need a range finder that bad at the ranges you mention ?

The grounds I shoot are very flat in areas making it hard to read the range with my eyes and with no features about to take into account. It's not essential but having the comfort of knowing what my range is exactly puts my mind at rest.

Plus I do push my ammunition further than I like on some permissions, just this weekend gone I took rabbits at 110yrds, 120yrds and 130yrds with a .22lr in mild wind fortunately I have a good brand rifle which holds a good zero and I have learnt my rifle well.

As you could image though at those ranges with a .22lr 15yards is a full mil dot drop so guessing itnt best lol. ?

Yeah the drop makes a hell of a difference, but wind doesn't effect the .22 as much as the .17 hmr.

It's difficult gauging ranges at night regardless, I still struggle on my place and I know every field like the back of my hand, it just ain't an easy thing to gauge at night through Nv.

Not knocking your choice as I love mine and wouldn't be without it.

.17hmr is a brilliant caliber but I find I hit many more rabbits with the .22 as the subsonic round is deadly quite. If they made a .17HMR without the supersonic crack even with a good moderator I would buy that ammo all day long. ??

I have an Lr 870 on a .17 hornet. I mount a Nightmaster Ir on it and zero the combination at 150. The image quality on the built -in IR up to IR ++ is not the best and pixilated but usable. With the Nightmaster and the contrast dialled down, the image is super quality and completely shootable. At 300 metres everything is as clear as a bell and the LR 870 is no restriction on range, just accuracy off sticks when shooting foxes. Its a weird experience as you lose night vision in the 'scope' eye. Here it is very dark as there are few people and a good IR source is critical. I can see and identify foxes at 500 metres, I rarely shoot them in excess of 150 metres but having been tempted and a number have fallen at 200+ metres.

I could not recommend the 870 more. I was going to buy a Drone-Pro, I am more than happy with my final choice.

• Like 2